Steps to Get Started
Instructions for returning NOVA students who have been away from school for more than three years. Do you have credits to transfer to NOVA? Visit Transfer Students.
- Apply for Admission
- Apply for Financial Aid
- Take Placement Tests
- See a Counselor
- Register for Classes
- Pay Your Tuition
- Check Your Enrollment Schedule
- Buy Your Books
- Buy a Parking Permit
- Activate Your Email Account
- View Admissions Information.
- If you believe you qualify for in-state tuition rates, complete the in-state tuition section of the application form prior to enrollment and payment of tuition.
Most new students should take the English and math placement tests.
- Tests are given at each campus Testing Center.
- Photo ID and Student ID (found on your NOVACard) are required.
- Allow approximately two hours for each test.
You are encouraged to speak with a counselor before enrolling for classes. A counselor can help you select a major, identify the classes you need to take, get financial aid, evaluate potential careers and more.
- Walk-in advising is available at any Student Services Center.
- Students with disabilities can meet with a counselor for disability services.
- Confirm your major.
- Bring an unofficial transcript from every college you have attended.
- Determine which classes transfer to NOVA.
- Verify whether you need to take placement tests.
- Choose your classes.
Enroll online with NOVAConnect. First-time students are encouraged to enroll in SDV 100 or another student development course during their first semester.
- Learn more about registration.
Print a copy of your enrollment schedule from NOVAConnect or call 703.323.3770 or 703.330.3770 (Prince William County) to check your classes and payment status.
- Verify that you are enrolled in the correct courses.
- Print a copy of your enrollment schedule every time you make a change.
You can buy your parking permit online through Parking Services using your credit card 24 hours after you enroll for classes. You can also pay for a permit by cash or check at any of the campus Parking Services offices.
Parking permits are required for all semesters/sessions of enrollment.
Permits are required for all vehicles parked in all lots (except parking meters and hourly pay lots).
Student permits are valid only in "B" lots.
Hourly pay parking is available in the garages for those without a current permit and ID card.
Activate your free email account.
- To protect your privacy, instructors may only use a student's official NOVA email address.
- You will receive updates on course changes and other pertinent information through your NOVA email account.
Important Notice: Students cannot activate their VCCS student email until they have enrolled for classes. All fees must be paid before students can access their email.
Get Your NOVACard Student Identification
Remember to get your free NOVACard 24 hours after you enroll for classes. It also serves as your library card and can be used for copying and on campus and a variety of discounts.