Transfer Credit Evaluation

campus image

Transfer Credit Evaluation Process

Transferring credits to NOVA allows previous college-level study, examinations, or career experience to be evaluated for possible college credits. NOVA only accepts transfer credit for which a student has earned a grade of "C" or better. NOVA's Catalog and Credit for Prior Learning website outline the college policy on accepting transfer credits from other institutions.

Prior to submitting the Transfer Credit Evaluation Request (Form 125-049E) form, the student must ensure they are placed in the degree plan of their choice.

The College Records Office (CRO) will review the requestors’ advisement report for degree requirements. Students will receive an email notification once evaluations are completed.

NOVA’s TES database contains courses that have been evaluated to offer transfer equivalency at NOVA. Please use the form below to look-up course equivalencies for transfer credit. Please note that this database is dynamic; we are constantly updating course equivalency data. While this data is as accurate and current as possible, NOVA retains the right to revise a transfer credit evaluation.

Military Transcripts

Military and Veteran Services evaluate Joint Services transcripts.

International Transcripts

Request evaluation of international coursework as early as possible. The process can take a considerable amount of time to complete.

  • Foreign transcripts must be evaluated by an International Evaluation Service.
  • Please do not send NOVA your original international transcript.
  • NOVA only accepts international transcript evaluations directly from World Education Services (WES), the International Education Research Foundation (IERF), Educational Credential Evaluator (ECE), or Foreign Credentials Services of America (FCSA).
  • NOVA will also accept AACRAO transcript evaluations dated prior to August 2016 and, on a case-by-case basis, NACES-approved evaluations performed prior to August 2014. Students may only submit one evaluation during their academic career at NOVA.
  • Students must submit their original transcripts to one of these organizations and pay for the course-by-course evaluation.
  • NOVA cannot guarantee the quality or outcome of the evaluations.
  • Once the College receives a copy of the evaluation, appropriate transfer credit will be awarded and posted to the student’s record unless NOVA needs additional information. In some cases, students may need to provide NOVA with more detailed course information before transfer credit can be awarded. Credit for ENG 111 or higher English credit will be awarded only if the student has taken NOVA’s English Placement Test and qualified for ENG 111.

NOVA accepts official college transcripts by the following methods:

  • Digitally via a transcript service such as Parchment or the National Student Clearing House
  • US mail in a sealed envelope
    • Send to:
      Northern Virginia Community College
      College Records Office FX-P3 3924 Pender Drive
      Fairfax, VA 22030
  • By email directly from your institution to:
  • Hand-delivered in a sealed envelope to any Student Service Campus Office

VCCS Schools

If you attended another college in the Virginia Community College System, you do not need to send an official transcript to NOVA. Please fill out the Transfer Credit Evaluation Request Form (125-049E).

The College Records Office (CRO) is responsible for evaluating:

  • Transcripts from colleges and universities within the United States and foreign transcripts that have been evaluated by WES, IERF, FCSA, or ECE.
  • Non-traditional credits including AP, ABLE, ACE, CLEP, CAMBRIDGE, DSST, IB, SAT II and as well as high school transcripts.
  • College-level credit from earned through work experience or from another type of learning institutions.

Your transcript will not be processed if you have not:

  • Applied to NOVA and/or have an active application on file.
  • Declared a program of study.
  • Submitted official transcript/test score.
  • Students must have completed at least one course at NOVA before an official transcript reflecting transfer credit will be issued.

NOVA allows evaluating of previous academic study, examination, or career experience for possible college credit. However, students must have completed at least one course at NOVA before an official transcript reflecting transfer credit will be issued.

To have your previous work evaluated by NOVA:

  • NOVA requires all transcripts to be Official.
  • An official transcript must be sent electronically, by mail, or directly from the sending college or university.
  • Grades earned must be equivalent to a "C" grade or better. The transcript must list a grade and credit earned.
  • Student must complete and submit the Transfer Credit Evaluation Request Form #125-049E.
    • This form is required to evaluate college transcripts, international transcripts, and test scores such as IB, AP, CLEP.
    • If you attended another college within the Virginia Community College System, you do not need to request an official transcript to be sent to NOVA.
  • Please allow approximately eight to twelve weeks from the time the CRO receives your document for the review of your transfer credit. Note: Please note delays can be expected during certain times of the year, e.g., graduation, NOVA program application deadlines, and the beginning of each semester.
  • No more than 75 percent of a degree or certificate may be earned through transfer credit and/or credit for prior learning.
  • NOVA will evaluate and post all eligible curriculum credits to a student's record.
  • Student’s will be contacted through VCCS student email address and the Message Center.
  • NOVA does not accept faxed college transcripts.
  • Students are responsible for submitting all required documents pertaining to evaluation.
  • Students who elect to send official transcripts via the National Student Clearinghouse, Naviance, Parchment or directly from their institution can direct their transcripts to
    • Important: Sending your transcripts to a different email may result in delays, and/or the College Records Office not receiving your documents.

Contact Us

College Record Office