Welcome to the Northern Virginia Community College Website

Accessibility Navigation:


Education on Hold? Don't get held up!

How To Unlock Your Holds

  • A hold or service indicator on your record indicates that something is needed, such as a financial obligation, documents, advisement, permissions, or a conditional status such as Dual Enrollment or Probation.

To See Your Holds or To-Do List

  • Log in to myNOVA > Click on VCCS SIS Student Information System > Self Service > Student Center > Under Academic, to the right side, you will see HOLDS and below, see your To-Do Lists. Click on the link to view the holds.

Academic Dismissal or Academic Suspension

Academic Probation

Application is Self-Sufficient

You based your tuition status on yourself and must submit additional documents to verify you are self-sufficient.

Debt to College or Debt to Controller

Debt to Financial Aid (Waiting for Information)

Debt to Library

  • Fees must be in person at the circulation desk. 
  • For questions, contact your campus library.

Debt to Parking

Dual Enrollment or Home School/Special Provisions

  1. Learn more about Dual Enrollment.
  2. Go to the Dual Enrollment Checklist.
  3. Make an appointment with a Counselor.

English As Second Language

ESL Level 2

You tested into English as a Second Language Level 2 and must apply with the Student Service Center.

Financial Aid is Being Held

  • Check Your To-Do List (see How to above)
  • For questions, contact Financial Aid.

High School Student

New First Time in College

If you are a First Year Student under the age of 24:

No High School/GED Graduation

Permanent Foreign Applicant or Temp/No Foreign Application

Parent, Legal Guardian, Spouse

If you base your tuition status on a Parent, Legal Guardian or Spouse:

Student Visa Admission

Tuition - Legal Guardian

If you base your tuition status on your Legal Guardian:

Under 18/Parent Signature

You are under the age of 18 and must:

  • Submit the Application results with your parent's signature
  • For questions, contact your Student Service Center.

Valid Visa Verifications