Veterans Education Benefits

military image

Applying for Military & Veterans Education Benefits

NOVA is authorized by the U. S. Department of Veterans Affairs to certify students who qualify for the Montgomery GI Bill® (Active Duty/Selected Reserves), Survivors' and Dependents' Educational Assistance Program, Reserve Education Assistance Program, and those who qualify for the Post-9/11 GI Bill and Vocational Rehabilitation. Please visit the VA website to learn How to Apply for the Military & Veterans Education Benefits.

  • Montgomery GI Bill Active Duty (Ch. 30): Available for veterans who began active duty service after June 30, 1985, and paid into the benefit at the beginning of their service. 
  • Montgomery GI Bill Selected Reserves (Ch. 1606): Available to members of the Selected Reserves with a six-year service commitment.
  • Post-9/11 GI Bill (Ch. 33): Helps you pay for school or job training if you've served on active duty after September 10, 2001.
  • Veteran Readiness and Employment (Ch. 31) If you have a service-connected disability that limits your ability to work or prevents you from working, Veteran Readiness and Employment (formerly called Vocational Rehabilitation and Employment) helps you explore employment options and address training needs. In some cases, family members may also qualify for certain benefits.

Benefits for Dependents

  • Virginia Military Survivors and Dependents Educational Assistance Program (VMSDEP): Provides education benefits to spouses and children of military service members killed, missing in action, taken prisoner, or who have been at least 90 percent permanently disabled as a result of military service. Military service includes service in the United States Armed Forces, United States Armed Forces Reserves, or the Virginia National Guard.
  • Dependents Education Assistance (Ch. 35): Dependent or surviving spouses or children of a Veteran may qualify for benefits or job training through a GI Bill program.
  • MyCAA: NOVA is an approved school for the Military Spouse Career Advancement Accounts (MyCAA) program. MyCAA allows military spouses to receive up to $4,000 in financial assistance for licenses, certificates, certifications, or Associates Degrees (excluding General Studies and Liberal Arts) necessary for gainful employment in high-demand, high-growth portable career fields.

Special provisions for active duty military, veterans, and their families allow them to pay in-state tuition without meeting normal domicile/Virginia residency requirements. Complete the Military-In-State Tuition Form and submit it (with the listed documents) to any NOVA Student Services Registrar’s office.

Military Students Called to Active Duty

If you are a military student and are called to active duty during a term and cannot complete your studies, please see the relevant NOVA policy information below.

Policy (Policy on Refunds, Credits and Reinstatement as a Result of Military Service)

NOVA will provide tuition relief, refunds, and reinstatement of students whose service in the uniformed services has required their sudden withdrawal or prolonged absence from their enrollment.

Should a student be called to active duty and requests to be withdrawn from NOVA after the last day to drop classes with tuition refund, they will be awarded a full refund of tuition and fees.

Students may also choose to be administratively withdrawn with no refund and assigned a grade of "W". In this case, the student’s refund will be retained and be applied to future tuition and fees when he/she returns to resume their studies at NOVA.

A signed, written withdrawal request must be substantiated with copies of military orders signed by the commanding officer or another appropriate official to show proof of date of activation, enlistment, or deployment.

  • Students utilizing Department of Defense Tuition Assistance benefits are required complete a Service Members Opportunity College (SOC) Agreement with NOVA. NOVA is required to submit a copy of a student's SOC agreement to the military. Login here to access the SOC form (form 125-347).
  • A student must be enrolled in at least one NOVA course and complete the Military Credit Evaluation Request Form before joint service transcripts will be evaluated. Login here to access the 125-349 form.
  • The Central Records Office will complete evaluations of transcripts such as CLEP/DANTES and transcripts from regionally accredited schools.
  • The Office of Military Services will complete evaluations of all military transcripts via Joint Services Transcript. Contact for more information. Community College of the Air Force transcripts will be evaluated by NOVA’s College Records Office (CRO).

Contact Information:

Ft. Myer/Henderson Hall/Pentagon
Alicia Street
Phone: 703.527.5976Email:

Ft. Belvoir
Barden Education Center, Room 127
Phone: 703.360.8524

MCB Quantico
Nicole Evans
Bldg 3088, Rm 17
Phone: 703.640.6303

For veterans in crisis and/or their families and friends please call the Veterans Crisis Line: 800.273.8255.

Free Help for Homeless Veterans: Dial 1-877-4AID-VET (1-877-424-3838) for 24/7 access to VA’s services for homeless and at-risk Veterans.

Homeless Veteran Chat: Confidential, 24/7 online support for homeless Veterans and friends

Veterans Affairs Links

Virginia Employment Commission (VEC)

Other Links