Welcome to the Northern Virginia Community College Website

Accessibility Navigation:


College Records Office

  • NOVA staff in front of record shelf
  • NOVA staff working on electronic data
  • NOVA staff

College Records Office

The College Record Office (CRO) manages the academic records of NOVA students as well as performing a variety of processes: official transcript requests, graduation audits, transfer credit evaluations, program plan placement, apostilles, degree verification and course substitution requests. 

The College Record Office is committed to maintaining the accuracy and confidentiality of students’ academic records as established by the College, State and Federal regulations under The Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA) (20 U.S.C. § 1232g; 34 C.F.R. Part 99).

  • Official Transcript requests for:
    • Current Students - Any student who is currently attending or has attended NOVA within the last three years and is in good academic standing.
    • Former Students/Inactive Student – Any student currently not attending NOVA or has not attended for the past three years or more and is an inactive student. Inactive student records are archived after one year of nonconsecutive enrollment.
  • Graduation Applications
  • Transfer Credit Evaluation
  • Course Substitution Requests
  1. Repeat codes (report run at the end of the semester by IT; can be corrected by campus registrars).
  2. Grade postings/changes (handled by campus registrars).
  3. Schedule changes (handled at the campus level).
  4. Admissions/enrollment (handled at the campus level).
  5. Phi Theta Kappa or other honor societies honors (handled by designated sponsors on select campuses responsible for providing names to the editor for the commencement book).
  6. Calculation of Grade Point Averages (GPA) (handled by campus registrars).
  7. Domicile issues (handled at the campus level )
  8. Honors Core designations (handled in the Division by the instructor).
  9. Holds (handled at the campus level).
  10. Unofficial transcripts (can be download by the student).
  11. Continuing Education Units (CEU) transcripts (must contact the campus where the course was completed).
  12. Commencement Ceremony arrangements and Graduation Information Brochure (arranged by the Commencement Events Manager).

Will you write a letter indicating my degree status?
Students receive status letters via their VCCS email accounts which can be shown as proof of pending graduation completion. GMU and other senior institutions want an official transcript bearing the awarding of the degree not a letter. Students need to check their school’s transfer website for information.

I was awarded a General Education Certificate; I did not apply for this. Why was I awarded this certificate?
The GEC program is mandated from the Virginia Community College System (VCCS); all schools within the VCCS are required to comply with this mandate. Some four-year institutions (ex. Old Dominion) require a GEC along with an A.A.A. or A.A.S. for admission to the university.

GENERAL EDUCATION CERT (Plan 6950): Recognition of milestone toward A.A. or A.S. degree. Completion signals a student has progressed more than halfway toward an A.A. or A.S. degree. Students are urged to see an advisor regarding the completion of any program plan to ensure accurate progression toward that goal. Total credit requirements for this plan are 33.

PLAN SPECIFIC REQUIREMENTS (33 cr.): Under certain circumstances, students who are placed in an A.A.A. or A.A.S. program plan may work with a counselor to be program placed in this plan.

Will this award reflect negatively on my cumulative GPA or ability to transfer to a four-year institution?
No, the GEC award has no bearing on a student's GPA and does not reflect negatively on a student’s ability to transfer to a four-year institution. However, a combination of the GEC plus an A.A.S. is required for admission to some four-year institutions.

I am pursuing a Career Studies Certificate in Massage Therapy. How do I convert my Red Cross CPR card to HLT 105 credit need for my degree?
Download the Request for Evaluation of Transfer Credit form available online and complete the form. Make front and back copies of your current CPR card, take both to the Student Services Center for scanning and linking to the CRO Transfer Credit Evaluations team.