Available Benefits

NOVA is authorized by the U. S. Department of Veterans Affairs to certify students who qualify for the Montgomery GI Bill® (Active Duty/Selected Reserves), Survivors' and Dependents' Educational Assistance Program, Reserve Education Assistance Program, and those who qualify for the Post-9/11 GI Bill and Vocational Rehabilitation. Please visit the VA website to learn How to Apply for the Military & Veterans Education Benefits.

  • Montgomery GI Bill Active Duty (Ch. 30): Available for veterans who began active duty service after June 30, 1985 and paid into the benefit at the beginning of their service.
  • Montgomery GI Bill Selected Reserves (Ch. 1606): Available to members of the Selected Reserves with a six-year service commitment.
  • Post-9/11 GI Bill (Ch. 33): Helps you pay for school or job training if you’ve served on active duty after September 10, 2001.
  • Veteran Readiness and Employment (Ch. 31) If you have a service-connected disability that limits your ability to work or prevents you from working, Veteran Readiness and Employment (formerly called Vocational Rehabilitation and Employment) helps you explore employment options and address training needs. In some cases, family members may also qualify for certain benefits.

Benefits for Dependents

  • Virginia Military Survivors and Dependents Educational Assistance Program (VMSDEP): Provides education benefits to spouses and children of military service members killed, missing in action, taken prisoner, or who have been at least 90 percent permanently disabled as a result of military service. Military service includes service in the United States Armed Forces, United States Armed Forces Reserves, or the Virginia National Guard.
  • Dependents Education Assistance (Ch. 35): Dependent or surviving spouses or children of a Veteran may qualify for benefits or job training through a GI Bill program.
  • MyCAA: NOVA is an approved school for the Military Spouse Career Advancement Accounts (MyCAA) program. MyCAA allows military spouses to receive up to $4,000 in financial assistance for licenses, certificates, certifications, or Associates Degrees (excluding General Studies and Liberal Arts) necessary for gainful employment in high demand, high growth portable career fields.