Frequently Asked Questions

The VCCS implemented a Human Resources Management System (HCM) to be used by all VCCS colleges and the System Office, to maintain employment data, including time and leave reporting.

Salaried non-exempt employees (P3), wage/hourly employees (P14), and work-study students need to fill out timesheets.

Yes. All non-exempt, wage/hourly, and work-study employees must enter time and submit their timesheet daily.

You can check the status of your submitted time by following these navigational steps in HRMS: Main menu > Manager self-service > Time management > View time > Payable time detail

Only hours worked should be submitted. Do not enter zero into the timesheet.

Wage employees do not enter any hours for days not worked. However, salaried non- exempt employees will select EMGCY – Inclement weather/Emergency closing when the College closes due to inclement weather or non-weather related emergency.

Absence Request Questions

Absence based leave such as Military, Civil, Organ Donation, etc. cannot be requested via the Self-Service page as policy requires you go through the approval process prior to taking these types of leave. Please contact

If you have entered and submitted the wrong leave code and your supervisor has not yet approved, ask your supervisor to “Push Back” the absence request. You will then need to access your absence request history to edit the leave and resubmit for approval. If your supervisor has already approved your request, please contact for assistance.

If the request does not have approval yet, ask your supervisor to “Push Back” the request for you to cancel by accessing your absence request history. If the request is approved in the system, you will need to contact for assistance.

To ensure accurate leave balances, request leave around holidays using two separate leave requests. In the above example, create an Absence Request for Monday - Tuesday and a second request for Thursday - Friday.

Sick, personal and excess annual leave balances expire on January 9th. On January 10th, you will receive a new disbursement of sick and personal.

As a Classified employee you can request through your supervisor to carry over excess annual leave until July 9th, by completing the Leave Carry Over Request form. As a 12 month Faculty member in the OLD plan, the annual leave will automatically carry over through June 30th the following year. A 12 month Faculty member in the NEW plan cannot carry over excess annual leave.

In HRMS click on "Time Reporting." Click on "View Time" and then click on "Absence Balances."

The balances will be updated no later than 5 business days following the end of the pay period.