The Fitness Center is open to current students, faculty and staff members of NOVA. The Fitness Center is located in the CE Building of the Annandale Campus, Room 102B and is equipped with various machines and equipment for all levels of conditioning including:
- Elliptical Machines/ Rower
- Recumbent Bicycles
- Medicine Balls
- Stability and BOSU Balls
- Resistant Bands
- Bumper Plates
- Power Rack
In order to use the weight room or gymnasium during each visit, you must check in and swipe your NOVA ID at the front desk of the Fitness Center.
The Annandale Fitness Center offers an initial fitness assessment designed to evaluate your current level of fitness. The components which are evaluated include Aerobic Capacity, Muscular Strength and Endurance, Mobility, and Body Composition. This evaluation takes approximately an hour and may be used by students, faculty and staff at NO CHARGE!
Aerobic Capacity: is estimated by performance in aerobic endurance activities.
Muscular Strength and Endurance: Determines your maximum strength in the upper and lower body using a three rep max test. Muscular endurance assesses how well you are able to sustain a certain exercise. A timed sit up and push up test will be used to evaluate endurance of the core, chest, and triceps muscles.
Mobility: Assesses range of motion in the lower and upper extremities of the body including ankle, knee, hip and shoulders. This will be assessed by performing a deep squat and shoulder mobility test.
Body Composition: Ratio of lean tissue to fat tissue mass using a Bioelectrical Impedance measuring device.
Getting Started: After completing your initial assessment, the Fitness Center offers a personal training session in order to help you develop an individualized fitness program that will help you reach your goals! Stop by the fitness center and make an appointment. You can also send an email request to firstname.lastname@example.org, or call 703.323.2137 to make an appointment.
Click for Fitness Center Hours.
Fitness Center Rules
- All fitness center users must be current registered students and present their NOVA ID. Individuals not registered during the current semester and/or not presenting a NOVA ID will not be permitted to use the facility.
- You must check-in and swipe your NOVA ID at the front desk during each visit.
- Appropriate athletic attire is required.
- Water and sports drinks are permitted; NO FOOD!
- Fitness center use permitted during posted hours only! NO EXCEPTIONS.
- Treat others respectfully! Use of profanity is not permitted.
- Know your limitations and use a spotter when necessary. Wipe down equipment after using.
- Failure to adhere to the fitness center rules, proper use of equipment and facilities may result in expulsion from the facility, the incident will be recorded, and the police will be called if necessary.
- Personal belongings may not be left in the weight room while exercising; lockers are provided for your convenience and safe-keeping of personal belongings. You may check out a locker key for day use only using your NOVA ID. Lockers must be emptied and the key returned after each use in order to receive your NOVA ID back, or your must pay $5 fine for the lock.
- Sports balls (soccer, basketball, and volleyballs) are available for check out using your NOVA ID at the front desk. The ball number you check out must be returned in order to receive your NOVA ID back, no exceptions.