In 1965, Northern Virginia Technical College opened for classes with 761 students in the Carlyn Springs Road warehouse, located in Bailey's Crossroads. In the fall of 2003, in response to the strong demand for qualified health care professionals, the College opened the Medical Education Campus in Springfield.
Known as the first specialized community college campus in the Commonwealth of Virginia, the Medical Education Campus meets the needs of college students interested in the health care profession and offers courses to high school students and current health care providers seeking to expand their knowledge.
Today, the Medical Education Campus offers 10 health-related programs and features state-of-the-art classrooms and laboratories, dental clinics and a clinical practice site for nursing and allied health students.
The Medical Education Campus is part of NoVaHealthFORCE.
- Provost Welcome
- Forum Council
Welcome to NOVA’s Medical Education Campus. Your path to becoming a leader in the healthcare professions starts here.
In collaboration with our community partners across the region, we provide innovative, cutting-edge academic and clinical experiences so you are well-prepared to meet the demands of the competitive healthcare marketplace.
We offer health science programs that prepare you for a variety of career paths. The following are MEC academic programs which generate approximately 850 degrees and certificates per year.
- Medical Laboratory Technology
- Physical Therapist Assistant
- Respiratory Therapy
- Diagnostic Medical Sonography
- Health Information Management
- Dental Hygiene
- Dental Assisting
- Emergency Medical Services
- Occupational Therapy Assistant
Led by credentialed, highly qualified faculty who are experts in their specific health care field, you will gain knowledge through curricula that is current and evidenced-based. Additionally, you will receive hands on experience and develop critical thinking through use of advanced applied technology in laboratory simulations, clinical experiences, field work, and/or preceptorships. Our educational facilities and industry partners in health care allow our students to learn with the latest technology while working collaboratively with leaders in the health care field.
We welcome and invite you to embark upon this sensational journey and look forward to assisting you with achieving your educational goals in the Health Sciences.
Nicole Reaves, Ed.D.
NOVA's Forum Council is part of the College Forum. The Forum, according to its constitution and bylaws, is "representative of teaching faculty, administrative faculty and students and classified staff and shall be composed of a College Senate, a Forum Council on each campus and the standing committees of the College Forum".
Forum Council serves the college community by performing the following functions:
- Expressing the viewpoints of administrators, faculty, classified staff and students on issues that are relevant to a particular campus.
- Advising and seeking advice from the Provost on campus issues.
- Making specific recommendations to or communicating with campus committees, college committees and College Senate.
- Submitting, through the Provost, advice and recommendations to the College President.
- Receiving recommendations from the Instructional and Student Services and Personnel Services College committees for deliberation and action.
- Assisting in the selection of members for the College Senate.
- Enhancing the learning environment on campus.
- Establishing committees as needed to fulfill the Forum Council's responsibilities to the college community.
Forum Council Membership, Minutes and Agendas
- Germaine Andino-Rexach, CS (Secretary)
- Suhel Dakwala, CS
- Kathy Grilliot, TF
- Imran Kukdawala, CS (Senator)
- Debra Loff-Like, TF
- Mary Mosely, TF (Senator)
- Mary Pat O'Brien, TF (Senator)
- Lisbeth Shewmaker, TF (Campus Chair)
- Kristin Snawder, PF
There are no agendas available at this time.