Transfer Credit Evaluation
Transferring credits to NOVA allows previous college-level study, examinations, or career experience to be evaluated for possible college credits. NOVA only accepts transfer credit for which a student has earned a grade of "C" or better. NOVA's Catalog and Credit for Prior Learning website outline the college policy on accepting transfer credits from other institutions.
Prior to submitting the Transfer Credit Evaluation Request (Form 125-049E) form, the student must ensure they are placed in the degree plan of their choice. Upon submission of the Transfer Credit Evaluation Request (Form 125-049E) from a student, a maximum of 45 credits will be transferred in as applicable to the student’s degree plan on record in the Student Information System (SIS) at the time of the request. The College Records Office (CRO) will implement this process with a review of the requestors’ advisement report for degree requirements. Throughout this process, the CRO will scan the requestor’s academic record and all Credit for Prior Learning (CPL) documents submitted for duplicate credit awards. Students will receive an email notification once evaluations are completed.
To have your previous work evaluated by NOVA, please send your official documents to:
Northern Virginia Community College
College Records Office FX – P1
Annandale, VA 22003
Parchment Electronic Order:
Select "Northern Virginia Community College" as seen in the screenshot below.
- Please fill out the Transfer Credit Evaluation Request Form #125-049E.
- This form is required to evaluate college transcripts, international transcripts and test scores such as IB, AP, CLEP.
- If you attended another college within the Virginia Community College System, you do not need to request an official transcript to be sent to NOVA.
- Please allow approximately eight to twelve weeks from the time the CRO receives your document for the review of your transfer credit.
Please note delays can be expected during certain times of the year, e.g., graduation, NOVA program application deadlines, and the beginning of each semester.
- You will be contacted regarding your transcript evaluation through your VCCS email address and the Message Center.
- NOVA does not accept faxed college transcripts.
- Students are responsible for submitting all required documents pertaining to evaluation.
- Students who elect to send official transcripts via the National Student Clearinghouse, Naviance, Parchment or directly from their institution can direct their transcripts to AsktheCRO@nvcc.edu.
- Important: Sending your transcripts to a different email may result in delays, and/or the College Records Office not receiving your documents.