What Is ADVANCE?
ADVANCE is an exciting new partnership between Northern Virginia Community College (NOVA) and George Mason University (Mason) that gives NOVA students targeted, personalized support to complete their bachelor's degrees in a timely manner and save money.
Benefits of ADVANCE
- Major Cost Savings! Completing your associates degree at NOVA before transferring to Mason will save you tuition costs.
- Make every Credit Count. Specialized, aligned curriculum from NOVA to Mason ensures all credits transfer toward your selected degree program.
- Dedicated Success Coaches. Success coaches provide you with continuous support and guidance, from your enrollment at NOVA to your graduation from Mason.
- ADVANCE = Access. You will be eligible to access recreational facilities, sporting and cultural events at NOVA and Mason.
- No Additional Application. Earn your associate degree at NOVA and then seamlessly transition to earn your bachelor's degree at Mason with no additional application required.
- Co-Enrollment. You are eligible to take select classes at Mason while you are enrolled at NOVA.
- ADVANCE Your Career. Enjoy special internship and co-curricular experiences that will prepare you for career success.
Who Should Consider ADVANCE?
ADVANCE is available to NOVA students in good academic standing with less than 30 degree credits earned, who plan to transfer to Mason to pursue a bachelor's degree in any of the programs offered.
- Minimum 2.00 cumulative grade point average for students with college credit
- Enrolled in NOVA associate's degree curricular program
- Earned no more than 30 credit hours at the time of enrollment in ADVANCE
In response to the COVID-19 pandemic, NOVA adopted a pass/no pass grading framework during the Spring 2020 semester. The pass/no pass grading system includes: P+, P-, WC. Below are a couple of important notes about the manner in which the pass/no pass grading framework impacts a student’s eligibility for ADVANCE:
Minimum 2.00 cumulative grade point average for students with college credit
- P+, P- and WC grades will not affect a student’s GPA and thus, will not impact this aspect of a student’s eligibility for the program.
Earned no more than 30 credit hours at the time of enrollment in ADVANCE
- P+ and P- grades count towards a student’s total number of credits earned. Therefore, if a student has completed more than 30 credits, they are no longer eligible for the program.
Success Coaches to Assist
ADVANCE is paving the way for students to easily transition from NOVA to George Mason. ADVANCE pathways and success coaches provide you with a clear cut pathway to success.
ADVANCE welcomes declarations for fall and spring enrollment. The following priority dates will assist you in planning to submit your ADVANCE declaration:
- Fall Declaration Deadline: July 15, 2020
- Spring Declaration Deadline: December 01, 2020
The ADVANCE Agreement is the final step toward enrollment and must be submitted no later than one week prior to the beginning of the NOVA semester.
- Fall Agreement Deadline: August 01, 2020
- Spring Agreement Deadline: December 15, 2020
For more information, please see How to Apply.
ADVANCE Program Pathways for 2020-2021
Use the search tool below to find the ADVANCE program pathway for your degree of interest. The pathways have been sorted into categories to make them easier to find. If you are unsure of the category for your degree, see the list of all available pathways or access a printable version.
Archived pathways for past catalog years can be found below.
For more information, visit the Mason ADVANCE page.