In 2007, the Two-Year College Transfer Grant Program (CTG) was passed into law in Virginia. Under this program, qualifying students completing their Associate's Degree at a Virginia two-year public college and then transferring to a participating Virginia four-year college or university may receive the CTG award.
Students must demonstrate successful completion of the following academic eligibility criteria:
- first-time degree-seeking student no earlier than summer 2007;
- earned an Associate degree at a Virginia public two-year college; and,
- graduated from a Virginia public two-year college with a cumulative grade point average of at least 3.0.
- See additional requirements under the"What Happens Next"section below.
Click on the button to view the list of participating institutions to be considered for CTG:
If you are graduating with your Associate degree this semester and want to ensure receipt of the CTG award you need to:
- Complete and submit your Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FASFA) and be sure to include the participating four-year institution school code.
- Submit a copy of the CTG Notification of Eligibility email (sent by the VCCS) and your final academic transcript with your Associate degree posted to the financial aid office of a participating four-year institution.
- Visit www.schev.edu/students/undergradFinancialaidPrograms.asp for more information on the Two-Year College Transfer Grant program and other sources of financial aid.
Your Virginia four-year college or university will notify the State Council of Higher Education for Virginia (SCHEV) of those students who meet the following additional CTG eligibility criteria:
- are a Virginia resident;
- are in compliance with federal Selective Service requirements;
- are not enrolled into a degree program for religious training or theological education;
- are enrolled full-time as an undergraduate student at a participating Virginia four-year college or university by the Fall following completion of your Associate degree;
- have applied for financial aid using the FAFSA and
- have demonstrated financial need by having an Expected Family Contribution (EFC) of no more than $8,000.
Once confirmed, awards for eligible students will be processed by SCHEV and forwarded to the four-year institution's financial aid department. In most instances, final eligibility will not be established until after the four-year college's semester is in session for 45-60 days. The base grant for all eligible full-time students is $1,000 ($500 per term). Students enrolling full-time into a Science, Teaching, Engineering, Mathematics (STEM) degree or Nursing degree may receive an additional $1,000 ($500 per term). See the SCHEV website for list of eligible STEM programs. NOTE: State law requires that eligibility for state need-based grants, if any, may be adjusted due to the CTG award.
To begin the process, submit documents to the Financial Aid Office at your four-year college as highlighted above. For more information, www.schev.edu (click on Financial Aid), the Financial Aid Office at the four-year institution, and the Financial Aid Office at the two-year college are available to assist you. You can also learn more about transfer from the Virginia Education Wizard at: https://www.vawizard.org/.
We wish you great success as you continue your college experience.