When you register for a class at NOVA, you are making a commitment to attend the class regularly, either in person or online. Since the Commonwealth of Virginia contributes a significant portion of your educational costs, you must establish your attendance or participation early in the semester, rather than taking a seat that might have gone to another student. The census date marks the last day to make that change.
If you do not attend at least one class meeting remotely or participate in an online learning class by the census date (last day to drop with a tuition refund), your class registration will be administratively deleted.
Administrative deletion means:
- there will be no record of the class or any letter grade on your transcript;
- the course credits will be deducted from your course load;
- the reduction of credits may affect your student status (full-time or part-time); and
- you will not receive a tuition refund.
Summer 2020 Census Dates
- 12-Week Session: June 1
- First 6-Week Session: May 26
- 10-Week Session: June 11
- 8-Week Session: June 23
- Second 6-Week Session: July 6
For variable duration (dynamic) classes, the census date is individually set. For these variable duration classes, in the Student Information System, click on the class. The date for Drop Without Penalty is the last date to drop with a refund.