The Office of Government Affairs and Community Relations:
- Provides leadership and supervision for NOVA's government and public affairs.
- Participates in the development and promotion of legislative priorities.
- Coordinates the development and implementation of legislative strategy.
- Participates in local, state and federal legislative activities.
- Participates in community-based educational, corporate and cultural activities.
- Coordinates a process of identification and development of new strategic community relationships with potential members of the College Board and NOVA Educational Foundation Board.
- Coordinates a process of identification and development of new strategic relationships with key members of the legislature and local government as well as business and civic leaders in the community.
- Provides assistance for groundbreaking ceremonies and building dedications.
- Assists the President in providing staff support to the College Board.
Dana Kauffman has served as Director of College Government Affairs and Community Relations for Northern Virginia Community College (NOVA) since 2008. He also provides staff support to the NOVA College Board and represents NOVA on the Fairfax County Economic Advisory Commission.
Prior to joining the college staff, Dana was a member of the Fairfax County Board of Supervisors for three terms. In this capacity, he served a member of the Washington Metropolitan Area Transit Authority Board of Directors (Metro), Virginia Railway Express Operations Board, and Northern Virginia Transportation Commission for twelve years including service as Chair of all three bodies.
Prior to his public service, Dana was the Vice President of Operations for a regional residential and commercial property management company and served as a Commissioner on the Fairfax County Redevelopment and Housing Authority.
Dana was a Torch Bearer in the 2002 Olympic Torch Relay and his public service awards include the Edward J. Dentz Award for Americanism from the American Legion, the Senior Guardian Medal of Honor from the Seniors Coalition, the Les Dorson Distinguished Public Service Leadership Award from the Lee District Association of Civic Organizations and two distinguished service awards from the Virginia Transit Association.
Dana holds graduate and undergraduate degrees from George Mason University in Public Administration. Dana and his wife Kathy live in the Alexandria part of Fairfax County. Their son Ethan is a NOVA graduate and is currently an Engineering student at George Mason University.
Tykesha Myrick is the Associate Director of Federal Relations and serves as the liaison between NOVA and the U.S. Congress and executive agencies. She provides logistical support, monitors and analyzes legislation and regulations, coordinates visits to government agencies, and communicates current topics of interest to NOVA partners and stakeholders.
She also serves as the acting Chief of Staff for the President, providing project management and strategic initiative support.
Entering her 18th year in higher education, Tykesha has served NOVA in several roles including Coordinator of Student Success, Campus Financial Aid Manager, Adjunct SDV Instructor, and Virtual Advisor. Additionally, she served as a member of the 2019-2020 American Council of Education Virginia Network Senior Women’s Leadership Seminar, NOVA Women’s Network Advisory Board, College Senate, and campus chair for Achieving the Dream.
A strong advocate for student success, Tykesha is the visionary for the Women In Search of Excellence (WISE) mentoring program and The Birdhouse Food and Personal Item Pantry.
Tykesha earned a Bachelor of Arts in English from The University of South Carolina and a Master of Science in Higher Education Administration from Walden University.
NOVA is an Outstanding Value – Federal and State assistance, low tuition rates and transfer opportunities allow students to save thousands on their education.