Coordinated Internship & Cooperative Education Services is an extension of Academic Services that provides work-based experiential learning opportunities through collaboration between academic departments and community employers. The purpose is to bolster workforce pipelines to meet community labor needs. It also enhances the programs of study curricula at the College and enriches academic learning and career development. Students may enroll in Coordinated Internship courses to earn academic credit or participate in an internship as an extracurricular experience.
Most sponsoring employers require students to be affiliated with an institution of higher education such as NOVA and registered for specific courses in order to participate in internship and co-op opportunities under guidelines established by the US Department of Labor.
- Internship Checklist
- Internship Timeline
- Internship Opportunities
Internship and co-op opportunities are an extension of your education into the workforce to provide a comprehensive curriculum that combines theory and practice. These opportunities are viewed as entry-level means of acquiring practical job training and valuable resume building experience. Ultimately, the goal is individual career development with an emphasis on both supervision and self-direction.
You may be eligible to receive a salary, stipend or tuition assistance from employers in addition to academic credit from the College. Employers often offer full-time employment in permanent job positions afterward, thus easing your entry into the workforce.
Additionally, you can earn up to 10 academic credits
thoughcoursework, which may be used to complete general elective credit, earned as additive credit, or substituted for required coursework in degrees or programs of study with the approval of academic advisors.
Current NOVA Students:
Current NOVA students can take the NOVA internship course if you meet the following eligibility criteria:
- Declared a major (degree or certificate) at NOVA
- Completed 15 college credits or the equivalent (transfer credits may be included)
- Completed a minimum of 6 credits (2 courses) at NOVA, directly related to the student’s program of study and the co-op or internship position
- Earned a cumulative CGPA of 2.0 and 2.0 in major
Current NOVA International Students:
There are additional requirements for international students to be eligible for a paid Coordinated Internship or Co-Ops or course, which include:
Current F-1 Visa status
- Lawfully enrolled on a
full timebasis for one full academic year
- Completed one semester of courses related to their degree at NOVA
- Receive internship credit that can be applied toward degree
- Confirmation of eligibility for CPT Work Authorization (Internship Specialist will confirm with the Office of International Student
Services,if aboveeligibility is met)
Current J Visa status
- Completed less than 30 credits at NOVA
- Receive internship credit that can be applied toward 60 hours of professional experience
- Confirmation of eligibility to participate (verified with the Office of International Student Services)
- Participate in unpaid internships only
Visiting (Transient) Students:
Visiting students can take the NOVA internships course if they meet the following criteria at their home institution:
- Declared a major
- Completed 15 college credits or the equivalent
- Completed minimum of 6 credits directly related to the student’s program of study and the internship or co-op position
- Earned a cumulative CGPA of 2.0 and 2.0 in major
To register for courses and to find internship opportunities, students must complete several steps outlined in the Internship Checklist and follow the recommended timeline.
Students wishing to take an internship course must start the process at least 8-10 weeks prior to registration deadline if they do not have an internship site identified. It is recommended that F-1 students begin the process an additional two weeks earlier.
You must register for the required Coordinated Internship or Cooperative Education courses.
The Academic Departments for each degree major and program of study offer Coordinated Internship and Cooperative Education courses as listed under general usage courses in the College Catalog. However, these courses are often not listed in the Schedule of Classes, since the registration process is unique requiring completion of additional registration paperwork.
Coordinated Internships require completion of the Registration Packet and authorization by the supervising Faculty and corresponding Academic Department. The student’s specific department coordinates this process.
Co-ops are managed through the specific program departments that require cooperative education courses to satisfy degree requirements.
The Internship Checklist (PDF) provides step-by-step instructions for students interested in taking an internship course at NOVA.
Paying your tuition:
Once registered for the course, you must pay by the payment deadline. Unpaid classes may be dropped from your schedule.
- Pay with cash or check at any campus business office.
- Pay online by credit card through NOVAConnect.
Checking your enrollment:
- Verify that you are enrolled through NOVAConnect.
Please click here to view the Internship Timeline.
NOVA Students interested in searching for and applying to jobs, internships, co-ops and volunteer opportunities must register online at NOVA’s College Central Network Student Database.
Once you have created a profile, you can submit your resume for review and posting and then search for internship opportunities.
Area employers with internship opportunities may submit detailed position information through NOVA’s College Central Network Student Database.
Area employers interested in offering an internship program for students may contact:
Dana M. Fallon
Career Services Manager