The following information provides a general timeline. Be sure to start your math (based on your program of study), and writing (composition) sequences as early as possible, as they are common requirements across most programs.
Steps to Ensure a Successful Transfer
- Four Semesters Before Transfer
- Three Semesters Before Transferring
- Two Semesters Before Transferring
- One Semester Before Transferring
- After Graduation From NOVA
- Speak to a transfer counselor as soon as possible to assist you with choosing your major.
- Review all of the Guaranteed Admissions Agreements. NOTE: Students must complete a transfer associate’s degree to be eligible for the benefits that the agreement provides.
- View special Articulation Agreements NOVA has with several four-year colleges and universities.
- Learn about general education requirements and lower-division components in the curriculum at institutions you are considering.
- Begin looking for scholarships, discounts and other ways to meet costs. Check out Virginia's Two-Year College Transfer Grant.
- Start your math (based on your program of study) and writing (composition) sequences as early as possible; they are common requirements across most programs.
- Familiarize yourself with the list of frequently used college terms.
The SCHEV Transfer Tool enables students to research options for transferring from a Virginia Community College to a four-year institution in Virginia. Click on button below to get started.SCHEV Transfer Tool
- Continue working with your NOVA transfer counselor or academic advisor.
- Decide which transfer institution best suits your needs and visit. If George Mason University is your choice, be sure to check out the Transferring to GMU page on this site.
- If required, complete a Letter of Intent for your chosen institution.
- Use four-year institution’s transfer guides to assist you with course selection.
- Familiarize yourself with your future institution’s academic calendars and deadlines.
- Continue selecting courses that transfer appropriately within program of study.
- Submit your admission application, financial aid application and all official transcripts to the colleges to which you hope to transfer. Click here to request a NOVA transcript.
- Once admitted, complete any specific scholarship and housing applications as appropriate.
Send final official NOVA transcript after graduation.