Welcome to the Northern Virginia Community College Website

Accessibility Navigation:


FAQ - Spring Registration 2022

FAQ About Registration

1. What if I don't have web access?

You are welcome to use the computers at any NOVA campus or other location, such as a public library. The Student Services Center also has staff members who can assist you with your registration.

2. Why won’t NOVAConnect let me register?

There may be several reasons why you are unable to register for classes:

Do you have a hold (service indicator)?
If you have a hold (financial debt, missing placement test, etc.) on your record, it could prevent you from enrolling. On the Welcome page of NOVAConnect, a message will indicate the office that placed the hold. Contact that office or the College Call Center at 703–323–3000.

Are you repeating a class?
Most classes may be retaken once; after that you will need division permission to repeat most courses. Learn more about repeating a class.

Are there course prerequisites?
Some classes indicate that a prerequisite or corequisite is needed. Others may require a placement test. These requirements may be listed under the course, but also can be found in NOVA’s Catalog under Course Descriptions. You must have met the prerequisites by the time the course begins. 

Is a Student Development (SDV) course required?
An SDV course is designed to build your confidence and skills, develop your college and career plans and help you navigate administrative requirements. An SDV course is a degree/certificate requirement for graduation. First-time-to-college students (ages 17–24) are required to complete an SDV course before enrolling for their 16th semester credit at the College. All other NOVA students are encouraged to take an SDV course within the first year. To get the most out of your education, you should take the SDV/College Success Skills course during your first semester at NOVA. 

3. What are census dates and why are they important?

Visit the census date page.

4. What if I want to change my schedule?

You may make schedule changes by using NOVAConnect. However, after the schedule adjustment period has passed, your ability to add a class is restricted. If you have documented mitigating circumstances that impacted your ability to register on time, you will need to complete a Change of Section Request After Schedule Adjustment Period Form (125-014) and submit supporting documentation to the appropriate academic division dean for approval. You are permitted to drop your courses at any time in accordance with NOVA’s Academic Calendar. You should carefully consider your options before dropping a course. You may not be able to swap sections. Consult the College Catalog and your advisor for more information on schedule adjustments.

5. What if I decide to audit a class?

You may take a class without taking exams or receiving a grade by auditing the class. You will be charged the regular tuition. In order to audit a class, you must complete the Auditing a Class Form (125–012) and have it signed by your instructor and the division dean. The Student Services Center must receive the signed form by the last day to drop with a refund (census date). The form includes complete details on the audit process. The course will be listed on your transcript with a grade of “X.”

6. What if I need to withdraw from a course?

After the census date, you may WITHDRAW using NOVAConnect up until the 60 percent date for the class (last day to withdraw online and receive a grade of “W”). You can also submit a Withdrawal Initiated by Student Form (125–047) to your instructor by the deadline. (See the Academic Calendar for the date.)

After the 60 percent date, most withdrawals will result in a grade of “U” or “F.” In order to receive a withdrawal grade of “W,” you must use the withdrawal form to document mitigating circumstances and receive approval from your instructor and division dean, and you must have a passing grade in the course up to that point. If you stop attending or withdraw using NOVAConnect after the 60 percent date, you will receive a “U” or “F” in the course.