Academic Renewal :: Northern Virginia Community College

Welcome to the Northern Virginia Community College Website

Accessibility Navigation:


Academic Renewal

Policy Number: 211

Categorized: Academic Policies

Responsible Office: Executive Vice President and Chief Academic Officer

Subject: Academic renewal after separation from the College for at least five years

Related Policies: Academic Standing

Forms: Academic Renewal Petition Form

Additional Information:

Effective Date:

Last Reviewed Date: 05/15/2018

1.0 Scope

This policy applies any student who returns to the College after a separation of more than five years.

2.0 Policy Statement

Students who return to the College after a separation of five years or more may petition for academic renewal.

For students who are found to be eligible for academic renewal, "D" and "F" grades earned prior to reenrollment will remain on the transcript but will not be included in the cumulative and curriculum grade point average (GPA), subject to the following conditions:

  1. Prior to petitioning for academic renewal, the student must demonstrate a renewed academic interest and effort by earning at least a 2.50 GPA in the first 12 semester hours completed at NOVA after reenrollment.
  2. All grades for credit courses received at the College will be a part of the student’s official transcript.
  3. The student will receive degree credit only for courses in which grades of "C" or better were earned prior to academic renewal, providing that such courses meet current curriculum requirements.
  4. Total hours for graduation will be based on all coursework taken at the College after readmision, as well as former coursework for which a grade of "C" or better was earned, and credits accepted from other colleges or universities.
  5. The academic renewal policy may be used only once and cannot be revoked after approval by the dean of students.
  6. Academic renewal cannot be applied to a degree or certificate that has already been conferred.

3.0 Definitions


4.0 Procedures

4.1. The request must be in writing and submitted to a campus Student Services Center.

5.0 Authority

VCCS Policy Academic Renewal Policy