Welcome to the Northern Virginia Community College Website

Accessibility Navigation:


Driving Information

Driving Information

F-1 and F-2 visa holders are eligible to apply for a driver’s license at the Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV) in their state of residency. 

Before you go to the DMV, contact an international student advisor on your campus to request a status verification letter. You should also bring your current I-20, which was stamped at the port of entry or approved by USCIS if you previously changed status.

The following links will bring you to the proper department’s website for Virginia, Maryland and Washington, D.C.

Buying a Car

If you plan to purchase a car, be aware that this is a costly process. In addition to the price of the car, you must pay a sales tax and fees for Registration and Title, as well as the fee to have the car inspected. You will also pay an annual "excise" tax - the amount of this tax is determined by the value of the car and the town/city where you live. Car insurance is also rather expensive and required coverage differs from state to state.

Parking at NOVA

NOVA requires a parking permit to park at any of our campuses and centers. Click on the Parking Services link under Helpful Links on the right for more information on obtaining a parking permit.