Purpose: The curriculum is designed to prepare students as effective members of the health care team in assisting with diagnosis, treatment, management, and preventive care of patients with cardiopulmonary problems. Upon successful completion of the program, students are eligible to take the Entry Level and Advanced Practitioner examinations leading to certification as a Certified Respiratory Therapist (CRT) and registration as a Registered Respiratory Therapist (RRT).
Transfer Information: Transfer is not the primary purpose of an A.A.S. program, but NOVA has articulation agreements that facilitate the transfer of this and other career-oriented programs to selected senior institutions. Students interested in transfer should contact a counselor or their academic advisor early in their program.
- Comply with all General Admission Requirements for Allied Health Programs.
- Attend a Respiratory Therapy Information Session on-line.
- Qualify for ENG 111 and MTH 151 through acceptable scores on NOVA placement tests.
- Have a minimum 2.5 curricular GPA at the last school/college attended at which at least 15 credits were completed.
- Have completed ENG 111, NAS 161 (BIO 141) and NAS 162 (BIO 142), HLT 141, and SDV 101 Orientation to Health Care or SDV elective with a grade of “C” or higher.
- Have completed RTH 120 with a grade of “B” or higher.
The NVCC Respiratory Therapy Program at the Medical Education Campus is accredited by the Commission on Accreditation for Respiratory Care (CoARC) www.coarc.com.
Special Accreditation Status:
Continuation Requirement: Students must comply with all Continuation Requirements for Allied Health and Respiratory Therapy students.
Special Program Continuation Requirements: If general education courses are not completed before acceptance into the Respiratory Therapy program, then they are to be taken in the corresponding semester as indicated in the curriculum plan. Students may not proceed to the next sequential respiratory therapy course without having completed the appropriate general education coursework.
1. Students in good standing may be permitted to re-enroll in the RTH curriculum on a space available basis, with permission of the Assistant Dean
2. Students who leave the program for any period up to two years for either personal or academic reasons are required to demonstrate proficiency in all previously enrolled skills courses prior to re-entering the program. “Practical exams” are administered and scheduled by the program faculty. A written exam will be required.
3. Students who leave the program for any period of time for medical reasons are required to submit evidence of good physical and mental health, as substantiated by a newly completed Pre-Admission Health History and Physical for Allied Health and Nursing form (NVCC 125-7) signed by the primary physician responsible for their care.
Licensure Requirements: The Virginia State Board of Medicine reserves the right to deny licensure to any candidate who has been convicted of a crime or any offense relating to the abuse of alcohol and/or use or sale of controlled substances in Virginia or any other state. Any applicant to the Respiratory Therapy program who has been found guilty of a misdemeanor or felony must consult with the Assistant Dean of Respiratory Therapy prior to acceptance into the program.
1 Although students who have graduated with a transfer-oriented A.A., A.S., or A.A. & S. degree or any baccalaureate or higher degree from a regionally accredited United States institution of higher education will have most of their general education considered as met, they must meet the math and science requirements specified for this program. Exceptions must be approved by the division dean responsible for the student’s curriculum.
2 Humanities/fine arts elective may be selected from the humanities/fine arts courses listed under General Education Electives.
3 CST 229 Intercultural Communication is recommended.
4 The social science elective may be selected from the social/behavioral sciences courses listed under General Education Electives.