Welcome to the Northern Virginia Community College Website

Accessibility Navigation:


Record Your Grades

All Faculty will enter student grades through myNOVA.

  1. Open a browser and type in the URL to access the NVCC Homepage (https://www.nvcc.edu).
    The NVCC Homepage displays.

    Home Page

  2. Click on the yellow myNOVA tab at the top right corner of the NVCC Homepage.
    The Academic Tools screen displays.

    Academic Tools

  3. Click on the green myNOVA button on the Academic Tools screen to access the myNOVA Login Portal screen.
    The myNOVA Login Portal screen displays.

    Login Screen

  4. Enter your myNOVA log in Username and Password and then click on Sign In.
    The myNOVA Main Menu displays.


    NOTE: The options available to you on this menu such as Canvas, Gmail, SIS, AIS (Finance), and HR will vary based on your security access.

  5. Click on SIS-Student Information System.


    The SIS-Self Service screen displays.

    SIS Main Menu

  6. Click on Faculty Center.
    The Faculty Center screen displays.

    Faculty Center

  7. Click on My Schedule.
    The My Schedule screen displays.

    My Schedule

    NOTE:  Your teaching schedule for the designated Term will be displayed.  To change the Term displayed, click the Change Term button and select the Term from the Select Term table and then click Continue.  Do not use the Class Roster link under Faculty Center.  Use My Schedule to access your rosters.

  8. Click the Grade Roster icon at the left of the class you wish to access.

    The selected Grade Roster screen now displays for the class you selected.  The Roster provides the list of names of students in the class and specific information such as their IDs and Programs and Plans.

    Class Roster
  9. Check below in the Display Options box, that the Grade Roster Type field is set to Final Grade and in the Grade Roster Action box, the Approval Status field is set to Not Reviewed.

  10. Click the down-arrow in the Roster Grade column next to each student’s name and select the student’s grade from the drop-down menu.

    NOTE: When recording the grade of R or U for a developmental class and F for a regular credit class, you’ll be required to enter the last date the student attended class.  If the student stopped attending prior to the 60% date and you don’t know the exact date, enter 01/01/1900.
  11. Click Save at the bottom of the screen when done.

    Save Roster

    NOTE: After entering the grades and saving them, Faculty should print and sign a copy of the completed Grade Roster for recordkeeping.  Please check with your Division Office to determine if it wants a signed copy.

  12. Click the Printer Friendly Version link on the bottom of the screen to print the Grade Roster

    Print Grade Roster Screen

  13. Click Download to download the Grade Roster to an Excel spreadsheet. 
    Make sure your pop-up blocker is turned off.
    Download Roster

NOTE: When you are finished, always remember to Sign Out to ensure the security and privacy of your account information.


  • The "W" grade will automatically be entered if students withdraw themselves within the withdrawal period (after census and before the last date to withdraw). Instructors cannot enter a "W" grade.
  • Instructors cannot enter a grade of “I” for Incomplete. Contact your Division Office for procedures and forms.
  • Students enrolled in regular session classes, cannot withdraw themselves after the 60% date (last date to withdraw with a “W” grade).
  • If a student withdraws from a dynamic session class after the official withdrawal period, an "F" grade will automatically be entered.
  • When recording a grade of "R" or "F" or "U," you will be required to enter the last date that the student attended. You may use a placeholder date if you don't know the exact date when the student stopped attending:
  • If the student stopped attending, but you do not know the date, use 01/01/1900.
  • If the student completed the entire class, you may use the last date of the class or 12/31/9999. You can look up the official last date of your class in Self-Service > Faculty Center > My Schedule.
  • You do not have to enter all your grades at once. If you have a large class, it is recommended that you SAVE each time you have entered 5 to 10 grades. If you get an error about the last day of attendance, go back and record the LDA and save.
  • You can leave grades blank. You can go back later and enter them.
  • Grades must be entered by the grade deadline. You will receive instructions from the Executive Vice President.
  • Grades may not be entered in myNOVA between midnight and 6:00 a.m.
  • After you enter grades, students will not see them on their records until the Grade Batch Posting program runs. The program will run between midnight and 6:00 a.m.
  • Once a grade is posted to a student’s record, it cannot be changed on the Roster. Contact the Division Office for instructions.
  • All questions should be directed to your Dean or Division Office.