Schedule of classes -- Summer 2008
NOVA is proud to offer a variety of honors classes to highly motivated students who seek a challenging academic experience. Through a variety of teaching methods, you learn to think broadly and independently about the material covered.
Honors courses receive a special designation on student transcripts. If you successfully complete at least 18 hours in selected honors core courses, you will be awarded the honors seal upon graduation.
You must have special permission to enroll in honors courses. To obtain permission, contact the chair of your campus honors committee (see below). You should meet at least one of the following criteria to be admitted:
- a minimum of 92 on the reading and 94 on the writing sections of the computerized English placement test;
- a GPA of 3.50 or above at NOVA;
- SAT scores of 1100 or above on the old SAT or a combined score of at least 1100 verbal + math on the new SAT;
- graduation in the top 10% of your high school graduating class; or
- special interest, aptitude, or life experiences that suggest the ability to learn creatively and independently within a course.
In addition to honors classes, NOVA offers honors programs on its campuses. For details on taking honors classes or to participate in the honors program, contact:
- Alexandria Campus: Robert Brunner, email@example.com, 703-845-6242.
- Annandale Campus: Gerald Boyd, firstname.lastname@example.org, 703-323-4441.
- Loudoun Campus: Stacy Rice, email@example.com, 703 450-7716, or any Loudoun Campus counselor.
- Manassas Campus: Dr. Jean Goodine, 703-257-6693, firstname.lastname@example.org, or any Manassas Campus counselor.
- Medical Education Campus: Ruth Stanton, email@example.com, 703-822-6679.
- Woodbridge Campus: Michele Wendell, firstname.lastname@example.org, 703-878-5808.
Honors Option: Any student may enroll into a course labeled “Honors Option”; however, these courses are also designed for those students who are involved with the Honors Program at NOVA. Any honors student who is interested in an honors option course should consult with the instructor within the first two weeks of the semester for guidelines about the honors option, including assignments and enrichment activities. Honors credit will be given to those who complete the “honors option” for designated courses, and credits for these honors option courses may count towards completion of the Honors Program at NOVA. Please contact one of the honors faculty listed above or the counseling office if you have questions.