In 2007, the Two-Year College Transfer Grant Program (CTG) was passed into law in Virginia. Under this program, qualifying students completing their Associate's Degree at a Virginia two-year public college and then transferring to a participating Virginia four-year college or university may receive the CTG award.
Students must demonstrate successful completion of the following academic eligibility criteria:
- first-time degree-seeking student no earlier than summer 2007;
- earned an Associate degree at a Virginia public two-year college; and,
- graduated from a Virginia public two-year college with a cumulative grade point average of at least 3.0.
- See additional requirements under the"What Happens Next"section below.
Click on the button to view the list of participating institutions to be considered for CTG:
- Things You Should Do to Prepare
- What Happens Next
Things You Should Do to Prepare
If you are graduating with your Associate degree this semester and want to ensure receipt of the CTG award you need to:
- Complete and submit your Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FASFA) and be sure to include the participating four-year institution school code.
- Submit a copy of the CTG Notification of Eligibility email (sent by the VCCS) and your final academic transcript with your Associate degree posted to the financial aid office of a participating four-year institution.
- Visit www.schev.edu/students/undergradFinancialaidPrograms.asp for more information on the Two-Year College Transfer Grant program and other sources of financial aid.
What Happens Next
Your Virginia four-year college or university will notify the State Council of Higher Education for Virginia (SCHEV) of those students who meet the following additional CTG eligibility criteria:
- are a Virginia resident;
- are in compliance with federal Selective Service requirements;
- are not enrolled into a degree program for religious training or theological education;
- are enrolled full-time as an undergraduate student at a participating Virginia four-year college or university by the Fall following completion of your Associate degree;
- have applied for financial aid using the FAFSA and
- have demonstrated financial need by having an Expected Family Contribution (EFC) of no more than $8,000.
Once confirmed, awards for eligible students will be processed by SCHEV and forwarded to the four-year institution's financial aid department. In most instances, final eligibility will not be established until after the four-year college's semester is in session for 45-60 days. The base grant for all eligible full-time students is $1,000 ($500 per term). Students enrolling full-time into a Science, Teaching, Engineering, Mathematics (STEM) degree or Nursing degree may receive an additional $1,000 ($500 per term). See the SCHEV website for list of eligible STEM programs. NOTE: State law requires that eligibility for state need-based grants, if any, may be adjusted due to the CTG award.
To begin the process, submit documents to the Financial Aid Office at your four-year college as highlighted above. For more information, www.schev.edu (click on Financial Aid), the Financial Aid Office at the four-year institution, and the Financial Aid Office at the two-year college are available to assist you. You can also learn more about transfer from the Virginia Education Wizard at: https://www.vawizard.org/.
We wish you great success as you continue your college experience.