Advising is available at Student Services Center at each campus, and from faculty advisors. See the Directory of Services page in this schedule for campus locations and telephone numbers or visit the Web site at

Alexandria Campus
Walk-In Advising—TThe Student Services Center and counselors are available on a walk-in basis Monday through Thursday, 8:30AM-7:30PM; Friday, 8:30AM-5:00PM.

Annandale Campus
Advising—Walk-in advising for new students and students without a major is available weekdays during enrollment. Student Services Center hours are Monday through Thursday, 8:30AM-7:30PM, and Friday 8:30AM-5:00PM. Call 703-323-3200 for information. Continuing students who have selected a major should contact the instructional division for advice.

Loudoun Campus
Walk-In Advising—Counselors are available Monday through Thursday 8:30AM-7:30PM and Friday, 8:30AM-5:00PM. It is strongly recommended that new students consult a counselor (Rm. 253) before enrolling for classes.

Manassas Campus
Walk-In Advising—Walk-in hours are Monday through Thursday, 8:30AM-7:30PM, and Friday, from 8:30AM-5:00PM, except for holidays.

Medical Education Campus
Walk-In Advising—AAdvising hours are Monday through Thursday, 8:30AM-7:30PM, and Friday 8:30AM-5:00PM and some Saturdays. Nursing and Allied Health information session dates and times are located at Please contact the Student Services Center for updated office hours at 703-822-6531.

Woodbridge Campus
Walk-in Advising—Counselors/Information Specialists are available Monday through Thursday from 8:30AM-7:30PM, and Friday from 8:30AM-5:00PM. Faculty advisors will be available May 11, 2006 9:00AM–3:00PM and 5:00–7:30PM.

Extended Learning Institute (ELI)
Advising for distance learning courses is available through any campus or the ELI Counseling Office at 703-323-2425 or

If you wish to take a course but not receive a grade, you must enroll for it in the normal way and then change to audit. Your instructor and the division dean will need to approve this change by signing a form NVCC 125-12 Change from Credit to Audit ( The Student Services Center must receive the signed form by the last day to withdraw without grade penalty or change to audit (see Important Dates). The course will be listed on your transcript with a grade of X.

For specific information on the Co-op process, visit the Co-op’s Web site at or see the College Catalog at for information.

Some courses require prerequisites or co-requisites. These requirements, which were established to ensure your success in the course, are identified in the Description of Courses section of the College Catalog. You may not enroll in a course for which you do not meet the prerequisites by the time the course begins. Only the dean of the instructional division offering the course may authorize a waiver of any prerequisite. You may be administratively dropped from any course for which you have not met the prerequisite.

See the College Catalog or visit for information on this policy.

Please refer to the College Catalog or visit for information. For assistance, contact a Disability Services counselor on any campus.

You may inquire about your grades by using the NovaConnect, either on the Web or by telephone at—703-323-3770 or 703-330-3770 (Prince William Co.). End-of-semester grade reports are not mailed. You may print your grades or print an “Unofficial Transcript” by using the Web NovaConnect at

You must meet with your faculty advisor no later than May 12, 2006 to review your academic record. Failure to contact your advisor in adequate time may result in late notification of outstanding requirements and ineligibility to graduate at the end of the summer session. You must submit your application for summer semester graduation no later than May 19, 2006 to the Student Services Center on the campus where your faculty advisor is located and where your degree program is offered. The annual Commencement Ceremony is held at the end of the spring semester for students who have graduated since the previous commencement.

NVCC offers honors courses to highly motivated students who are seeking an intensive learning experience. Through a variety of instructional methods, students are challenged to think broadly and independently about the material covered in a course.

Honors courses receive a special designation on student transcripts, and students who successfully complete a minimum of 18 hours in selected honors core courses will be awarded the Honors seal upon graduation.

Honors sections of courses are listed with other courses in the Schedule of Classes. Honors courses may be offered as separate sections of courses or as options for selected students within otherwise traditional courses.

Students must have special permission to enroll in honors courses. To obtain permission, please contact the chair of the campus honors committee (see below). You should meet at least one of the following criteria to be admitted: (1) a minimum of 92 on the reading and 94 on the writing sections of the computerized English placement test; (2) a GPA of 3.50 or above at NVCC; (3) SAT scores of 1100 or above; (4) graduation in the top 10% of your high school graduating class; or (5) special interest, aptitude, or life experiences that suggest the ability to learn creatively and independently within a course.

For more information about the honors program, contact the following:

Alexandria Campus: Mr. Robert Brunner,, 703-845-6242.
Annandale Campus: Mr. Gerald Boyd,, 703-323-4441.
Loudoun Campus: Ms. Jacqueline HIllman, 703-450-2571,, or any Loudoun Campus counselor.
Manassas Campus: Dr. Jean Goodine, 703-257-6693,, or any Manassas Campus counselor.
Medical Education Campus: Ms. Diane C. Wilson,, 703-822-6580.
Woodbridge Campus: Ms. Michele Wendell,, 703-878-5808.

See campus course listings for honors courses offered.

More and more courses are being offered in a “hybrid” format, blending face-to-face teaching and online learning. Depending on subject, the amount of web-based instruction ranges from 30-70%, usually 50/50, with the remainder taking place in a traditional classroom setting. Most hybrid courses use "Blackboard"—you can log on to get your Blackboard account at A reliable Internet connection is necessary. If you do not have your own computer, you can use Campus computers.

Hybrid courses are NOT "condensed" courses. The online portion of a hybrid course requires the same number of "contact hours" as the face-to-face class time that it is replacing.

Hybrid courses can be challenging. In order to be successful in a hybrid course, you should be comfortable using computers and the Internet. You also need excellent time management skills and self-motivation to stay current with class calendar. You need to read assignments and directions carefully, and keep up with class reading.

Courses are identified as Hybrid in the class note below the specific course section. If you need further information, contact the instructor or the division listed. For more distance learning course options, see NOVA’s Extended Learning Institute (Distance Learning) at

Students in credit courses can receive a photo identification card from the campus NOVACARD Office. After enrolling in classes, students should wait 24 hours before going to a campus NOVACARD office or should present proof of enrollment and a current photo ID. Lost NOVACARDS will be replaced for a $10 fee. NOVACARDS are required for certain college services.

Check NOVA's Web Site to find out if inclement weather has caused the College to close or delay its opening. Use the link WEATHER & CLOSINGS on the homepage to check our status.

NovaConnect Telephone: For information about College closings due to inclement weather please call NovaConnect Telephone after 6:00AM at 703-323-3770. Select the appropriate option for weather information. You can also call the College general information number at 703-323-3000.

Off-Campus Classes
Whenever the College cancels day or evening classes, off-campus classes are also canceled. However, when the public schools are closed, classes held in public school buildings will be canceled, even though the College is open.

Buy Your Permit Online with your credit card 24 hours after registering for classes. Log-on to beginning March 29, 2006. In addition to the Web site, beginning May 8, 2006. Permits will be sold for cash or check at Parking Offices at all six campuses. Credit cards will be accepted at Parking Offices beginning with the first day of classes for the summer semester. Permits are required for all vehicles parked in all lots. Student permits are valid only in “B” lots. Students may not park in the faculty/staff lots.

The current charge for a parking permit is $45.00 per semester/session. Parking permits are required for all sessions of enrollment, including summer. Permits must be displayed on either the rear window on the driver’s side of the vehicle or on the rear bumper on the driver’s side. Permits are designed with an adhesive backing to be placed on the outside of the vehicle. If your original permit has been lost or stolen, you will be required to purchase another one. Parking regulations are printed in the Parking Brochure that is available in the Parking Offices or on the College Web site at Visitors should use meters or the hourly pay lots. Payment is required at meters and in the hourly pay lots 24 hours per day, 7 days a week.

Parking refunds must be requested from the Parking Office on or before the published “last day for tuition refund” date. The remnants of the permit and the purchase receipt must be submitted with the request for refund. If all your classes are cancelled or moved to an off-campus location, you may request a full refund by returning the permit on or before the last day for tuition refund date. In all other cases, a refund of $40.00 will be made for a permit returned on or before the last day for tuition refund. No refunds will be made for permits after the published date.

The College Safety Report is available on the College Web site at It is also available in printed form at campus Police and Public Safety offices. The report includes statistics concerning crimes that occurred on College property. The report includes institutional policies on campus security, alcohol and drug use, crime prevention, the reporting of crimes, sexual assault, and other matters.

There are provisions in Virginia law, Code of Virginia 23-9.6:1 and 23-38.56, whereby senior citizens aged 60 or over may be eligible to enroll for courses on a credit or non-credit basis with the waiver of tuition and fees. You must be admitted to the College and complete the form, Senior Citizen Certification of Eligibility for Free Tuition. For more information and criteria for special senior citizen enrollment for credit, audit, and non-credit courses, see the College Catalog, and for questions, contact the Admissions and Records office at any campus.

Lifetime Learning Institute (LLI) and Lifelong Learning Institute (LLI), independent affiliates of NVCC (Annandale and Manassas, respectively), offer non-credit, seminars, courses, and trips for seniors. For further information at Annandale, call 703-503-0600, e-mail at, or visit the Web site at, and for Manassas, call 703-361-6310 or visit the Web site at

First-time NVCC College students are required to take SDV 100 or another SDV course before enrolling for their 16th semester hour at the College. Students should take the SDV/College Success Skills course during their first college semester. Through the SDV courses, students gain information and skills designed to enhance college success and receive assistance in making educational and career plans.

The College encourages students to be prepared for the need of medical care by having appropriate accident and sickness insurance. As a resource, the dean of Student Development on each campus provides a list of companies that offer student health insurance programs.

In accordance with the Drug-Free Schools and Communities Act of 1989, NVCC supports efforts to eliminate drug and alcohol abuse through a series of programs and services designed to prevent use of substances that are illegal and harmful, and to assist individuals who suffer from substance abuse. The illegal possession, use or distribution of controlled substances may result in the College taking disciplinary action as stated in the Student Handbook. If you or someone you know needs help, contact the Counseling Center at any of the campuses for information about referral to community agencies.

Northern Virginia Community College encourages all eligible students to register to vote. Voter registration materials can be obtained at each campus Business, Counseling, Admissions and Records Offices, and Learning Resource Services. Information and voter registration forms may also be obtained at the following Web sites: the Virginia State Board of Elections, and the Federal Election Commission,


Northern Virginia Community College 2005
This page was last updated on February 20, 2006 2:00 PM