Advising is available at Counseling Services at each campus, and from faculty advisors. See the Directory of Services page in this schedule for campus locations and telephone numbers or visit the Counseling Services Web site at

Alexandria Campus
Walk-In Advising—The Counseling Office is in the Library and counselors are available on a walk-in basis Monday through Thursday, 8:30AM-7:30PM; Friday, 8:30AM-5:00PM.

Annandale Campus
Advising—Walk-in advising for new students and students without a major is available weekdays during registration. Counseling Center hours are Monday through Thursday, 8:30AM-7:30PM, and Friday 8:30AM-5:00PM. Call 703-323-3200 for information. Continuing students who have selected a major should contact the instructional division for advice. Information for Nursing and Allied Health is available through the Health Tech Advisor in CG 216.

Loudoun Campus
Walk-In Advising—Counselors are available Monday through Thursday 8:30AM-7:30PM and Friday, 8:30AM-5:00PM. It is strongly recommended that new students consult a counselor (Rm. 253) before registering for classes.

Manassas Campus
Walk-In Advising—Walk-in counseling hours are Monday through Thursday, 8:30AM-7:30PM, and Friday, from 8:30AM-5:00PM, except for holidays.

Woodbridge Campus
Walk-in Advising—Counselors are available Monday through Thursday from 8:30AM-7:30PM, and Friday from 8:30AM-5:00PM. Faculty advisors will be available May 13, 2004, 9:00AM–3:00PM and 5:00–7:30PM.

Extended Learning Institute (ELI)
Advising for ELI classes is through any campus. See schedules above.

For specific information on the Co-op process, visit the Co-op’s Web site at or see the College Catalog at for information.

Courses that have prerequisites are identified in this schedule and in the course listing section of the College Catalog. You may not enroll in a course unless you have successfully completed all prerequisites.

See the College Catalog or visit for information on this policy.

Please refer to the College Catalog or visit for information. For assistance, contact a Disability Services counselor on any campus.

You may inquire about your grades by using the NovaConnect, either on the Web or by telephone at—703-323-3770 or 703-330-3770 (Prince William Co.). End-of-semester grade reports are not mailed. You may print your grades or print an “Unofficial Transcript” by using the Web NovaConnect at

You must meet with your faculty advisor no later than May 17, 2004 to review your academic record. Failure to contact your advisor in adequate time may result in late notification of outstanding requirements and ineligibility to graduate at the end of the fall semester. You must submit your application for graduation no later than May 28, 2004 to the Admissions and Records Office on the campus where your faculty advisor is located and where your degree program is offered.

NVCC offers honors courses to highly motivated students who are seeking an intensive learning experience. Through a variety of instructional methods, students are challenged to think broadly and independently about the material covered in a course.

Honors courses receive a special designation on student transcripts, and students who successfully complete a minimum of 18 hours in selected honors core courses will be awarded the Honors seal upon graduation.

Honors sections of courses are listed with other courses in the Schedule of Classes. Honors courses may be offered as separate sections of courses or as options for selected students within otherwise traditional courses.

Students must have special permission to register for honors courses. To obtain permission, please contact the chair of the campus honors committee (see below). You should meet at least one of the following criteria to be admitted: (1) a minimum of 92 on the reading and 94 on the writing sections of the computerized English placement test; (2) a GPA of 3.50 or above at NVCC; (3) SAT scores of 1100 or above; (4) graduation in the top 10% of your high school graduating class; or (5) special interest, aptitude, or life experiences that suggest the ability to learn creatively and independently within a course.

For more information about the honors program, contact the following:

Alexandria Campus: Mr. Robert Brunner, 703-845-6242.
Annandale Campus: Mr. Gerald Boyd, 703-323-4441.
Loudoun Campus: Ms. Bridget Pool, 703-450-2511 or any Loudoun Campus counselor.
Manassas Campus: Dr. Jean Goodine, 703-257-6693 or any Manassas Campus counselor.
Woodbridge Campus: Dr. Robert Kilmer, 703-878-5660.

See campus course listings for honors courses offered.

Students in credit courses will receive a free photo identification card distributed through the campus NOVACARD Office. Students should wait 24 hours after first registering for classes before going to a campus NOVACARD Office to obtain a card.

Buy Your Permit Online—Beginning April 21—log-on to Permits are required for all vehicles parked in all lots. Student permits are valid only in “B” lots. Beginning May 10, 2004, permits will be sold at Parking Offices at Alexandria, Annandale and Woodbridge and at the campus Police Offices at Loudoun and Manassas. Students may not park in the faculty/staff lots. The current charge for a parking permit is $35.00 per semester/session. Parking permits are required for all sessions of enrollment, including summer. Permits must be displayed on either the rear window on the driver’s side of the vehicle or on the rear bumper of the driver’s side. Permits are designed with an adhesive backing to be placed on the outside of the vehicle. If your original permit has been lost or stolen, you will be required to purchase another one. Parking regulations are printed in the Parking Brochure that is available in the Police/Parking Offices or on the College Web site at Visitors should use meters or the hourly pay lots. Payment is required at meters and in the hourly pay lots 24 hours per day, 7 days a week.

Parking refunds must be requested from the Parking or Police Office on or before the published “last day for tuition refund” date. The remnants of the permit and the purchase receipt must be submitted with the request for refund. If all of your classes are cancelled or moved to an off-campus location, you may request a full refund by returning the permit on or before the last day for tuition refund date. In all other cases, a refund of $30 will be made for a permit returned on or before the last day for tuition refund. No refunds will be made for permits after the published date.

The College Safety Report is available on the College Web site at It is also available in printed form at campus Police and Public Safety offices. The report includes statistics concerning crimes that occurred on College property. The report includes institutional policies on campus security, alcohol and drug use, crime prevention, the reporting of crimes, sexual assault, and other matters.

There are provisions in Virginia law whereby certain senior citizens may be eligible to enroll for courses on a credit or non-credit basis with the waiver of tuition and fees. If your age is sixty or over before the beginning of the term, your legal domicile has been Virginia for one year, and your taxable income for the preceding year did not exceed $15,000, you may be eligible to enroll in credit courses on a space-available basis. You must be admitted to the College and complete the form, Senior Citizen Certification of Eligibility for Free Tuition. Those who are eligible for tuition waiver may register only toward the end of regular registration and only in-person at a campus Admissions and Records Office. (Note: Senior citizens choosing to have tuition waived may not register through the NovaConnect Web or telephone.) For more information about special senior citizen enrollment for credit, audit, and non-credit courses, see the College Catalog, and for questions, contact the Admissions and Records office at any campus.

Lifetime Learning Institute (LLI) and Lifelong Learning Institute (LLI), independent affiliates of NVCC (Annandale and Manassas, respectively), offer non-credit, seminars, courses, and trips for seniors. For further information at Annandale, call 703-503-0600, e-mail at, or visit the Web site at, and for Manassas, call 703-361-6310 or visit the Web site at

First-time NVCC College students are required to take STD 100 or another STD course before enrolling for their 16th semester hour at the College. Students should take the STD/College Success Skills course during their first college semester. Through the STD courses, students gain information and skills designed to enhance college success and receive assistance in making educational and career plans.

For more information about student health insurance, call 1-800-222-5780. Students are able to enroll online by accessing ABCO 100’s Web site at

In accordance with the Drug-Free Schools and Communities Act of 1989, NVCC supports efforts to eliminate drug and alcohol abuse through a series of programs and services designed to prevent use of substances that are illegal and harmful, and to assist individuals who suffer from substance abuse. The use of drugs and the abuse of alcohol can imperil your health. The illegal possession, use or distribution of controlled substances may result in legal sanctions including imprisonment and fines. Such conduct on campus can also result in the College taking disciplinary action as stated in the Student Handbook. If you or someone you know needs help, contact the Counseling Center at any of the campuses for information about referral to community agencies.

Northern Virginia Community College encourages all eligible students to register to vote. Voter registration materials can be obtained at each campus Business, Counseling, Admissions and Records Offices, and Learning Resource Services. Information and voter registration forms may also be obtained at the following Web sites: the Virginia State Board of Elections, and the Federal Election Commission,


Northern Virginia Community College 2004
This page was last updated on March 22, 2004 2:51 PM