Welcome to the Northern Virginia Community College Website

Accessibility Navigation:


Certification Required

In order to receive education benefits you must be certified. The process can take up to three months. Your first step is to go to the Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) website and apply for your federal GI Bill education benefits utilizing their Veteran On-Line Application (VONAPP), applicants for Chapter 31 must meet with a US Department of Veterans Affairs counselor.

Once you have applied for benefits and registered for classes you will need to submit a Veterans Enrollment Reporting Form to the Veteran Advisors Office. The Veteran Advisor will then issue a Verification of Enrollment (VA Form 22-1999) via VA to inform the VA that the student is enrolled at NOVA and requesting education benefits. For more information regarding the veteran enrollment certification process at NOVA, please visit the Veteran Advisors Office.

If you have specific questions, contact the US Department of Veterans Affairs’ Buffalo Office (toll-free) at 1.888.442.4551 or go to the US Department of Veterans Affairs website.

Verify Your Enrollment

Chapter 30, 1607 and 1606 recipients: Once you are certified for your benefits, you must verify your enrollment with the Veterans Administration at the end of each month before you will receive your payment. To verify enrollment, go to the Web Automated Verification of Enrollment (WAVE) or call 1.877.823.2378.