Home  >  College Catalog  >  Administrative Information  >  Admissions Requirements

NOVA 2007-2008 College Catalog


Admission to the College
If you have a high school diploma or the equivalent, or you are at least 18 years of age, and you are able to benefit from enrollment, you are eligible for admission to Northern Virginia Community College.

High school and home schooled students may be eligible to enroll in certain "dual enrollment programs."

All applicants must complete the Application for Admission. At this time, you are strongly advised to seek the assistance of counselors for academic, career, or transfer information. You are also strongly advised to take the English placement test at this time since demonstrated English ability is required for enrollment in most courses.
Students are accepted on a first-come/first-served basis, except in restricted programs or when enrollment must be limited. In such cases, priority will be given in the following order: (1) legal residents domiciled in the cities and counties supporting the College, (2) other Virginia legal residents, (3) out-of-state applicants, and (4) international students requiring Form I-20. For certain health technology programs, "counties supporting the College" may include those in which clinical affiliates have contractual agreements with NVCC. It is even more important for you to apply early to the College if you are interested in being admitted to a particular curriculum. Certain programs have limited enrollment. Some of these curricula may have waiting lists.

High school transcripts are used for academic advisement to enhance your prospects for success in your chosen curriculum and to evaluate for college-level courses (i.e., Tech Prep or advanced placement courses) or prerequisites to college-level courses.

The College welcomes transfer students from other colleges and, when you meet NVCC’s admissions requirements, you may be admitted with no restrictions.

High school transcripts are required in order to be considered for admission to the following curricula: Veterinary Technology, Dental Hygiene, Medical Laboratory Technology, Nursing, Physical Therapist Assistant, Radiography, and Respiratory Therapy. Transcripts are preferred for Emergency Medical Services Technology, Allied Health and Nursing programs. Contact the appropriate campus Counseling Services Center regarding admission to these programs.

The Application for Admission is online at http://www.nvcc.edu. Application for Admission forms may also be mailed to the Student Services Center of your choice. You are urged to submit your Application for Admission to the College at least 30 days prior to the first day of classes for the semester in which you plan to enroll. This should provide you with the opportunity to meet with a counselor for academic assistance prior to enrollment and to take required placement tests.

The College reserves the right to evaluate Applications for Admission and to refuse admission to applicants when it is considered to be in the best interest of the College or when there is sufficient reason to believe that they present a danger to themselves or to other members of the College community.

When you enroll as a student at NVCC, you accept the rules and regulations of the College. Any violation will be subject to appropriate action by the College.

Visiting (Transient) Students - Special Provisions for Students Currently Enrolled at Four-Year Colleges and Universities
Students currently enrolled at four-year colleges and universities may enroll in most NOVA courses without taking a placement test to determine readiness to do college-level work. Such “transient” or guest students maintain their primary enrollment with the four-year college or university (home institution) and elect to enroll at NOVA for the limited purpose of taking one or more classes. To qualify for this special provision, students must provide specified documentation showing current enrollment or admission to a four-year college or university.  Full information and directions are available at www.nvcc.edu/admissions/transientstudents/.

Admission to a Curriculum
In addition to the general admission requirements for acceptance by the College, there are specific curricular requirements listed in the "Instructional Programs" section of this catalog. Check the curriculum of your choice to see if you have met the required prerequisites for enrolling in that curriculum. If you do not meet these requirements, you may be able to make up deficiencies by taking developmental or other courses.
To change from one curriculum to another, you must contact a counselor to initiate completion of a new Declaring a Major form, 125-008.

English Language Requirement
In order to enroll in most courses, students are required to achieve a satisfactory score on the college English placement test. Regardless of course selection, all students will be required to take the English placement test prior to registering for the 16th credit.

International Students
NVCC is authorized by federal law to enroll non-immigrant students. The College must comply fully with federal law and regulations regarding admission of non-immigrant students and issuance of the I-20 form, Certificate of Eligibility for Non-immigrant (F-1) Student Status, for student visas. Except as restricted by federal law or regulation, College policies apply equally to all students regardless of immigration status.

Student Visas (F-1 Status). If you require student immigration status (F-1), the following prerequisites must be met before the College can issue an I-20 form, Certificate of Eligibility for Non-Immigrant (F-1) Student Status.

1. You must submit an application to apply for full-time enrollment to the College.
2. You must submit documentation of eligibility, including the following items:

a. An official or certified copy of your secondary school diploma or certificate equivalent to a U.S. high school diploma.
b. Verification of financial support.
c. Demonstration of proficiency in the English language:

· For academic degree programs, you must submit a TOEFL score.* If your TOEFL score is 500 or higher (paper test) or 173 (computer based), you may be admitted to a degree program (using an Academic I-20). Once on campus, you will take the College’s ACCUPLACER test, which indicates the level at which you may begin your studies at the College.

· If English is your first language and you are from a country where English is the official language, a TOEFL score is not required.

d. A TOEFL score is not required for the intensive English-language program through the College’s Continuing Education Program. NVCC will issue you a Language Training I-20.

*International students who are visiting the College may submit an application and take the ACCUPLACER test. These test results can be used in place of TOEFL scores when submitting I-20 packets.

All required documents and test scores for I-20 applicants must be received by the published deadline. For application deadlines, please visit the F-1 International Student Web site at www.nvcc.edu/international.

If your native language is not English, you must complete the English placement test (ACCUPLACER) before you enroll in classes. Your test score may require that you complete English as a Second Language (ESL) courses—in the credit or non-credit program—before you may enroll in any other courses.

In order to maintain your F-1 visa status, you must enroll as a full-time student. You should meet with an academic advisor when you arrive at the college to ensure that you meet this enrollment requirement. F-1 international students may not take more than 3 credits or one course per semester through online or distance education.

If you are in the United States and already have F-1 status but wish to transfer to NVCC, you must contact your current school regarding your eligibility to transfer. If you currently hold another type of immigration status, or need further information about student visas, please visit our F-1 International student Web site at www.nvcc.edu/international.

Other Immigrant Status. It is the policy of Northern Virginia Community College to admit to the College those applicants who are immigrants residing in Virginia who have graduated from a Virginia high school with a high school diploma or equivalent, even if they are not able to document their legal presence. Those who are undocumented will pay tuition at the out-of-state rate.

For enrollment in English as a Second Language (ESL) non-credit programs. The availability of non-credit ESL programs varies by campus. You should contact the Continuing Education Office at the campus of your choice for information about these programs and procedures for requesting an I-20 form for ESL study.

Dual Enrollment of Current High School Students and Home School Students

If you have not yet earned a high school diploma or its equivalent and you are under the age of 18, you may be able to attend the College under certain conditions.

Dual Enrollment means concurrently taking courses in both high school and college. Some of your NVCC College courses may fulfill Virginia high school graduation requirements if you have prior written approval from both your high school principal and your parent or guardian; for home school students the written approval from your parent or guardian and the appropriate school system authority. In some cases the College has existing dual enrollment arrangements with local public schools whereby the college credits you earn may be applied toward your high school diploma while you also receive college credit.

Current High School Students
If you are at least 16 years of age and presently enrolled in high school and wish to be admitted to the College and take classes, you must have the written permission of your parent or legal guardian and your high school principal or designee.  Please submit a completed and signed NVCC 125-207 form.

Home School Students
If you are at least 16 years of age, are not attending a public or private school, and are home schooled you may be eligible for admission to NVCC.  Prior to admission, students who are home schooled must have the written permission of a parent or legal guardian and provide a copy of a current signed home school agreement between the appropriate school system and the authorizing parent or guardian.  Dual enrollment is considered enrichment to the home school program and cannot substitute for the home school experience.  Please submit a completed and signed NVCC 125-208 form.

Other Policies and Procedures Regarding Dual Enrollment
The following policies and procedures will apply to the dual enrollment of individual current high school and home school students:

  1. The College reserves the right to evaluate applications for admission and to refuse admission to applicants when it is considered to be in the best interest of the College. For example, a student who has academic and/or disciplinary difficulties at his/her school will not be admitted to the College.
  2. Applicants for dual enrollment must apply to the college at least two weeks prior to the start of classes. Applicants are encouraged to apply online at www.nvcc.edu.
  3. Prior to final admission, an applicant who does not have a high school diploma or equivalent and who is under the age of 18 years will be required to demonstrate appropriate basic skills compatible with the College's academic expectations, through college placement tests or approved alternatives.
  4. Dual-enrolled students must meet all course prerequisites.
  5. Before registering for classes, dual-enrolled students must see a NVCC counselor or dean of students at the campus they plan to attend.
  6. Dual-enrolled students must register for college classes in person.
  7. Dual-enrolled students cannot declare a major.
  8. Dual-enrolled students are not eligible for college–based financial aid.
  9. Dual-enrolled students are restricted to part-time enrollment (fewer than 12 credits per semester).
  10. Dual-enrolled students generally are not permitted to enroll in developmental courses.
  11. Dual-enrolled students generally are not placed in Extended Learning Institute (ELI) courses.
  12. All NVCC students, regardless of age, are subject to all of the rules, policies, and procedures of the College pertaining to attendance, confidentiality of records, conduct, etc., as found in the College Catalog and the College Student Handbook.

NovaConnect Student Information System (SIS)
NovaConnect is the name for the College’s Student Information System (SIS). To access NovaConnect you will need an Internet connection, a Web browser, and a student ID number. NovaConnect allows you to complete online many of your business transactions with the College. You will be able to do the following by clicking on the NovaConnect icon located on the front page of NVCC’s Web site and following the directions:

· Obtain your student ID number.
· Apply for admission.
· Register, add, drop, and swap classes.
· Search for classes by availability, day, instructor, and location.
· View and print your class schedule.
· Review grades and print unofficial transcripts.
· Request an official NVCC transcript.
· View transfer credit.
· View advisor information and e-mail advisor from NovaConnect.
· View course/grade history.
· View account summary, including tuition and fees.
· Check Financial Aid eligibility status.
· Review Financial Aid award.
· View Financial Aid history.
· Apply for Financial Aid.
· Update personal information, such as addresses and phone numbers.

NovaConnect Student ID Number
Your Student ID will be used throughout your college career to identify you in NovaConnect and your college records. NovaConnect assigns a 7-digit Student ID number at the time you apply for admission.

Social Security Number
Your social security number is required to be on file as part of your student record, but it will not be used as a student ID number. If you are receiving financial aid, however, it will be used in connection with Federal Financial Aid applications such as Pell Grants, and deferments for previous student loans.

Identification Cards (NOVACARD)
Student photo identification cards, NOVACARD IDs, are provided to credit students through the student activities fee. The cards are distributed through campus NOVACARD Offices. You should wait 24 hours after first registering for classes before going to a campus NOVACARD Office to obtain your ID card. ID cards may be required for library material use, admissions to special student activities, and so forth. Lost cards will be replaced at a fee of $10.00. Contact a campus NOVACARD Office for more information.

Student Records Access
The College enforces Public Law 93?380 in providing for the privacy of official student records and the rights of students to review these records. You may review your official records by making a request to the Student Services Center. NVCC will not release any personally identifiable information about you without your permission, except to certain school and governmental officials as provided by the law.

As required by state law (SB559/HB984, §23-2.2:1), the VCCS provides the Virginia State Police with the following information about all students within seven days of their acceptance to the College:  the student’s full name, Social Security number, date of birth, and gender.  The State Police compare this information to the Virginia Criminal Information Network, as well as the National Crime Information Center Convicted Sexual Offender Registry File.

Requests by individuals and agencies for release of student information must be presented in writing. Your permission for the College to release any information must also be in writing. Information that is considered public information is described in the current issue of the College Student Handbook.

Campus of Record
Once admitted to the College you may take courses at any campus, though some majors and some courses are offered only at selected campuses. Most students identify with one campus as the place where they obtain services, such as counseling, faculty advising, participation in activities, testing, etc. Faculty advising and graduation certification must be completed at a campus that offers your major. This is especially true of restricted majors, such as allied health, nursing, and veterinary technology. If you have questions about where or how to use the services of the College, contact the Student Services Center at any campus.

Assessment and Placement Testing
Basic skills assessment and placement testing are intended to assist you in selecting courses and designing an academic program in which you will most likely be successful. These tests are not admissions tests. However, you are required to demonstrate a specified level of English proficiency in order to enroll in most college credit courses.

Prior to testing, you must have submitted an Application for Admission to the College. A government-issued photograph identification, such as a driver's license, is required when you come to the Testing Center to take the tests. You will not be permitted to take bookbags, coats, or other personal effects into the Testing Center, and you will be required to turn off your cell phone.

For information about testing or testing accommodations, contact a campus Counseling Services Center or Testing Center.

1. Basic Skills Assessment
Assessment of your strengths and weaknesses in reading, writing, and mathematics will help you determine the appropriate courses to select. This assessment is accomplished through a group of basic skills assessment tests administered through the Testing Center at each campus.

You are encouraged to take basic skills tests in reading, writing, and mathematics before you enroll in classes. If you have not taken the basic skills tests and have a cumulative grade point average (GPA) of less than 2.00 after the completion of 9 semester hours at NVCC, or if you are transferring to NVCC with a cumulative GPA of less than 2.00 (regardless of the number of hours completed), you must take the basic skills test in reading and writing. A counselor will determine if it is appropriate for you to take basic skills tests in mathematics as well. Students who entered NVCC in the fall 2002 semester or later, regardless of the GPA, must take the English placement test prior to registering for the 16th credit.

** UPDATED ** (Information on this page has been updated/corrected from the original printed version. Click here to see the updated version.)

2. Course Placement Testing
Most courses require that you obtain a minimum score on one or more placement tests before you may enroll in those courses. If your scores on the required placement test(s) are below the prescribed minimums, you must complete prescribed developmental studies courses. The developmental studies course(s) required will be determined by your scores. These requirements apply to all campuses and ELI, unless specifically waived by the responsible division dean.

Testing Centers:
Alexandria Campus: AA332
Annandale Campus: CG404
Loudoun Campus: LR251
Manassas Campus: MH112
Medical Education Campus: HE204
Woodbridge Campus: WC436
Extended Learning Institute: Any NVCC campus Testing Center.

Placement test scores are valid for a limited time period according to the following:

1. English (reading and writing) scores are valid for 3 years; tests may be repeated after 12 months.
2. Math scores are valid for 12 months; tests may be repeated after 3 months.
3. English as a Second Language (ESL) scores are valid for 12 months; tests may be repeated after 6 months if you score below Level 2 and after 12 months if you score Level 2 or higher.
4. Ability To Benefit (ATB) scores are valid for 12 months; tests may be repeated after 12 months.

3. Course Prerequisites
Some courses require prerequisites or co-requisites. These requirements, which were established to foster your success in the course, are identified in the Description of Courses section of this catalog. You may not enroll in a course for which you do not meet the prerequisites by the time the course begins. (The authorization for a waiver of any prerequisite may be made only by the dean of the instructional division offering the course.) You may be administratively dropped from any course for which you have not met the prerequisite.

In a course that requires placement tests, if you do not obtain the required minimum scores to enter a course, you must complete prescribed developmental studies courses before enrolling in the desired course.