Home  >  Catalog/Schedule  >  Schedule of Classes > Special Populations

Schedule of classes -

Additional Information for New Students

Special Populations

High School and Home Schooled Students

If you are a junior or senior in high school or attend school at home, you may be eligible to take credit classes at NOVA. You must apply for admission to NOVA at least two weeks prior to the start of classes at www.nvcc.edu, place into ENG 111/9 (or higher) on the college placement test, and meet all course prerequisites. High school students must also submit a Dual Enrollment Recommendation: Individual High School Students (Form 125-207, www.nvcc.edu/forms/pdf/125-207.pdf) signed by your parent or guardian, high school counselor, and high school principal (or designated representative).

Home schooled students must submit a Dual Enrollment Recommendation: Home Schooled Students (Form 125–208) signed by your parent or guardian and a copy of a current signed home school agreement between the appropriate school system and the authorizing parent or guardian.

Some area high schools offer NOVA classes onsite. Consult with your high school counselor or e-mail dualenrollment@nvcc.edu for more information about dual enrollment classes at local high schools.

Students who have not yet completed high school are ineligible for financial aid.

Members of the U.S. Military

NOVA offers onsite credit classes for active duty regular and reserve service members and their dependents at Fort Myer Army Post, Fort Belvoir, and the Lifelong Learning Center at Quantico Marine Base. Class offerings for Fall 2011 are included in this booklet or can be found online at www.nvcc.edu/schedule/crs2114/ Many of the classes are compressed to meet the demanding schedules of service members.

Many of the classes are compressed to meet the demanding schedules of service members. The College is a member of Servicemembers Opportunity Colleges (SOC), a group of more than 1,700 colleges and universities providing voluntary postsecondary education to members of the military throughout the world. As a SOC member, NOVA recognizes the unique nature of the military lifestyle and has committed itself to easing the transfer of relevant course credits, providing flexible academic residency requirements, and crediting learning from appropriate military training and experiences.

In addition, NOVA is one of approximately 50 institutions providing Servicemembers Opportunity Colleges Associate Degree (SOCAD) programs on more than 500 Army installations worldwide. There is a SOC counselor and a veterans’ advisor at each campus to assist you.

Military Dependents (Spouse and Children)

The dependents of an active duty military person stationed in Virginia, the District of Columbia, or a state contiguous to Virginia, who reside in Virginia, are eligible for in-state tuition.  Complete the In-state Tuition Form for Active Duty Military and Dependents Living in Virginia (Form 125-115, www.nvcc.edu/forms/pdf/125-115.pdf) and take it, along with the documents specified on the form, to a campus Student Services Center to claim this benefit.

Prospective F-1 Students

NOVA is one of the most internationally diverse colleges in the United States, with thousands of students from more than 150 countries enrolled in our programs. The rich cultural diversity and experiences that international students bring to the College make for a truly unique learning environment. As a non-residential school, NOVA does not provide student housing. Students share apartments with other students or live with family or friends in nearby communities.

For complete details on how to apply and request an I-20, go to www.nvcc.edu/future-students/enroll-for-classes/international-students/index.html or contact the Office of International Student Services at oiss@nvcc.edu or 703-323-3423.

Senior Citizens

The Virginia Senior Citizens Higher Education Act of 1974 and amendments allow senior citizens to take classes at no charge under certain circumstances. If you are 60 years of age or older and have been legally domiciled in Virginia for one year prior to the beginning of the semester in which you enroll, you may qualify to attend credit and many non-credit classes at NOVA without paying tuition and fees.

  • • You may take a credit course for free on a space-available basis if your taxable income did not exceed $15,000 in the previous year.
  • Regardless of income, you may take a credit course for free if you audit (do not receive a grade).
  • You may take a non-credit, Workforce Development course for free if space is available. To enroll in non-credit courses contact the Workforce Development and Continuing Education Office at the campus where the course is being offered.
  •  For all courses, you must complete both an application for admission and the Senior Citizen Certification of Eligibility for Free Tuition (Form 105–088).
  • Senior citizens may enroll in ELI courses at any time if there is available space. Note: to audit an ELI distance learning course, you must complete a 125-012 Change from Credit to Audit form with the instructor’s permission and submit it to ELI’s registrar.
  • Please note that unless you pay tuition, you may not register until the first day of classes. However, if you have completed seventy-five percent of your degree requirements, you may enroll at the same time as tuition-paying students. Tuition-paying students are accommodated in courses before senior citizens participating in this program are enrolled.

    • If you apply for free tuition AFTER you register and pay for a class, you are not eligible for a refund for that class.
    • Senior citizens shall still be expected to pay course expenses other than tuition, such as laboratory fees.
    • Audit and non-credit enrollment is limited to three courses in one term.
    • The College reserves the right to cancel any class.

The Lifelong Learning Institutes on NOVA’s Annandale and Manassas campuses also offer non-credit classes, seminars, and trips for seniors. For information, call 703-503-0600 (Annandale) or 703-361-6310 (Manassas), or visit NOVA’s Web site at www.nvcc.edu/catalog/cat2011/admin/register.htm.

Students with Disabilities

If you require any special services or accommodations, you should contact the NOVA Counselors for Students with Disabilities at the campus of your choice at least two weeks prior to the beginning of classes. Refer to the College Catalog or visit www.nvcc.edu/catalog/cat2011/student/disability.htm for additional details on NOVA’s range of services for students with disabilities.

Visiting College Students

Each year, thousands of visiting students from four-year colleges and universities in Virginia and nationwide attend classes at NOVA. They come to Northern Virginia Community College to take a class that might not be available on their home campuses, accelerate their studies, or make up a difficult class. In most cases, visiting students are not required to take placement tests to begin their NOVA classes.

To qualify for this special provision, however, you need to provide specified documentation showing current enrollment or admission to a four-year college or university. Full information and directions are available at www.nvcc.edu/future-students/enroll-for-classes/visiting-college-students/index.html.

If you plan to attend NOVA as a visiting student, you must first apply for admission online by going to www.nvcc.edu. When completing the application, be sure to answer “No” to the question “Do you plan to pursue a degree, certificate, or diploma?” and instead select “Currently Pursuing a Degree at Another College.” You should also record the ID number assigned to you.

For additional assistance, consult your NOVA Catalog or contact the Student Services Center (see Directory of Services, page 5) on the campus you wish to attend.

Washington, D.C. Residents

The District of Columbia provides a variety of grant resources to students who are attending NOVA.

  • The DC Tuition Assistance Grant (DCTAG), which is not based on demonstrating financial need, provides a grant of up to $10,000 to help cover the difference between in-state and out-of-state tuition.
  • The DC Leveraging Educational Assistance Partnership (DCLEAP) provides up to $1,500 per year towards college costs for those students who demonstrate financial need.
  • The DC Adoption Scholarship (DCAS) provides a grant of up to $10,000 per year to students who were adopted from the DC Child & Family Services Agency on or after October 1, 2001, or who lost a parent as a result of the September 11 terrorist attacks.
  • The DC OneApp allows students to apply for all of the District’s higher education grants - DCTAG, DCLEAP, and DCAS - using one application.

To qualify for the grants you must file the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA), be a D.C. resident, live in D.C, and meet other eligibility requirements, including proof of residency for one year prior to start of college, registration with selective service (males 18 and over), proof of U.S. citizenship, non-default status with federal student loans, and good academic standing.

For information, call the DC TAG Office at 877–485–6751 or visit the DC TAG Web site at www.seo.dc.gov or NOVA’s Financial Aid Web site at http://www.nvcc.edu/current-students/paying-for-college/financial-assistance/grants/dc.html for application materials.


Achieving the Dream is a nationwide initiative that asks colleges to focus on student success, build a culture of evidence, and promote the twin goals of equity and excellence.Recently, NOVA joined 84 other higher education institutions from across the country when it became an Achieving the Dream College.Learn more at www.achievingthedream.org