Additional Admission Information for New Students – Special Populations

Visiting College Students (Transient Students)

Each year, thousands of visiting students from four-year colleges and universities in Virginia and nationwide attend classes at NOVA. They come to Northern Virginia Community College to take a class that might not be available on their home campuses, accelerate their studies or to make up a difficult class.

In most cases, visiting students are not required to take placement tests to begin their NOVA classes. To qualify for this special provision, however, you need to provide specified documentation showing current enrollment or admission to a four-year college or university. Full information and directions are available at

If you plan to attend NOVA as a visiting student, you must first apply for admission to NOVA by going to When completing the application, be sure to answer “No” to the question “Do you plan to pursue a degree, certificate or diploma?” and instead select “Currently Pursuing a Degree at Another College.” You should also record the ID number assigned to you.

For additional assistance, consult your NOVA Catalog or contact the Counseling Office (see the Directory of Services) on the campus you wish to attend.

F-1 Students

Prospective F-1 Students

At NOVA, we greatly value the rich cultural diversity and experiences our international students bring to our campuses. NOVA is one of the most internationally diverse colleges in the United States, with thousands of students from more than 150 countries enrolled in our programs.  

As a non-residential college, NOVA does not provide student housing. Our students share apartments with other students or live with family or friends in nearby communities.

For complete details on how to apply and request an I-20, go to or contact the Office of International Student Services at or (703)323-3423.


High School and Home Schooled Students

If you are at least 16 years of age, presently enrolled in high school and would like to take credit classes at NOVA, you must submit a Dual Enrollment Recommendation Individual High School Students form NVCC 125-207 ( signed by your authorizing parent or guardian and your high school principal (or designated representative). You must also apply for admission to NOVA at

Some area high schools offer NOVA classes onsite. Consult with your high school counselor and NOVA’s Catalog for details.

Virginia Commonwealth University and George Mason University offer undergraduate and graduate programs at NOVA’s Medical Education Campus through a unique academic allied health and nursing pathway that includes dual enrollment for area high school students enrolled in college-level courses. Ask your high school counselor for details.

If you attend school at home and are at least 16 years old, you may be eligible to take courses at NOVA. You must apply for admission to NOVA at and provide a current copy of a signed home school agreement (NVCC 125-208) between the appropriate school system and your parent or guardian.
Refer to NOVA’s Catalog for details.


Members of the U.S. Military

NOVA offers onsite credit classes for active duty regular and reserve service members and their dependents at Fort Myer Army Post, Fort Belvoir, and the Lifelong Learning Center at Quantico Marine Base. Class offerings for Fall 2007 are included in this Schedule or can be found from the Schedule Search page. Many of the classes are compressed to meet the demanding schedules of service members.

The College is a member of Servicemembers Opportunity Colleges (SOC), a group of over 1,700 colleges and universities providing voluntary postsecondary education to members of the military throughout the world. As a SOC member, NOVA recognizes the unique nature of the military lifestyle and has committed itself to easing the transfer of relevant course credits, providing flexible academic residency requirements, and crediting learning from appropriate military training and experiences.

In addition, NOVA is one of approximately 50 institutions providing Servicemembers Opportunity Colleges Associate Degree (SOCAD) programs on over 500 Army installations worldwide.  There is a SOC counselor and a veterans’ advisor at each campus to assist you with your education plans.

Military Dependents (Spouse and Children)
The family members of an active duty military person stationed in Virginia will qualify for in-state tuition under the provisions of a recent bill adopted by the Commonwealth of Virginia.  For specific details on how to claim this benefit, contact a campus Student Services Center.


Senior Citizens

Is learning your lifelong passion? Do you want to pursue a new area of interest or even begin a new career path? If you are 60 years of age or older, you may qualify to attend credit and many non-credit classes at NOVA without paying tuition and fees. You must complete both an application for admission and the form Senior Citizen Certification of Eligibility for Free Tuition. For more information, refer to the College Catalog or contact any NOVA campus Student Service Center (see the Directory of Services). The Lifelong Learning Institutes on NOVA’s Annandale and Manassas campuses also offer non-credit classes, seminars, and trips for seniors. For information, call 703-503-0600 (Annandale) or 703-361-6310 (Manassas), or visit NOVA’s web site at


Students with Disabilities

If you require any special services or accommodations, you should contact the NOVA Counselors for Students with Disabilities at the campus of your choice at least two weeks prior to the beginning of classes. Refer to the College Catalog or visit for additional details on NOVA’s range of services for students with disabilities.


Washington, D.C. Residents

The District of Columbia provides a variety of grant resources to students who are attending NOVA.

  • The DC Tuition Assistance Grant (DCTAG), which is not based on demonstrating financial need, can open the doors to NOVA by providing a grant of up to $10,000 to help cover the difference between in-state and out-of-state tuition.
  • The DC Leveraging Educational Assistance Partnership (DCLEAP) provides up to $1,500 per year towards college costs for those students who demonstrate financial need.
  • The DC Adoption Scholarship (DCAS) provides a grant of up to $10,000 per year to students who were adopted from the DC Child & Family Services Agency on or after October 1, 2001, or who lost a parent as a result of the September 11th terrorist attacks.
  • The DC OneApp allows students to apply for all of the District’s higher education grants – DCTAG, DCLEAP, and DCAS – using one application.

To qualify for the grants you must file the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA), be a D.C. resident, live in D.C, and meet other eligibility requirements including proof of residency for 1 year prior to start of college, have registered with selective service (males 18 and over), provide proof of U.S. citizenship, not be in default status with federal student loans, and be in good academic standing. The application deadline is June 30, for the 2006-2007 academic year.

For information, call the DC TAG Office at 877-485-6751 or visit the DC TAG website at or NOVA's Financial Aid Website at for application materials.




Northern Virginia Community College 2005
This page was last updated on March 26, 2007 4:34 PM