Welcome to the Northern Virginia Community College Website

Accessibility Navigation:

FAQ: Police

What do I do if I am stopped by a police officer?

  • A police officer may stop you at any time for a traffic offense or criminal investigation.
  • When you observe an officer behind you with emergency lights and/or siren activated, remain calm and safely pull over to the right side of the road or to a nearby safe location.
  • Remain in your vehicle unless the officer directs you otherwise.
  • Keep your hands in plain sight so the officer can see them.
  • Avoid any sudden movements especially towards the floorboard, rear seat or passenger side of the vehicle.
  • The officer will ask you for your identification along with other documentation.
  • Wait until the officer asks for your driver license, vehicle registration or other documents before reaching for them.
  • If the stop occurs at night, the officer will likely illuminate the inside of your vehicle with a spotlight and flashlight. This is for the officer’s safety and your own; don’t be alarmed.
  • An additional police officer may be on the scene of a traffic stop.
  • The officer may issue you a ticket. If you feel the reason is vague or unclear, ask the officer for clarification.
  • You will be asked to sign the ticket. Your signature is not an admission of guilt; it only signifies your promise to come to court or pre-pay the fine, if allowed.
  • Avoid becoming argumentative. If you desire to contest the ticket, you should do so in court.
  • You may ask for the officer for his or her unit number, and you may make a complaint if you feel you have been treated unfair or discourteously. Contact police dispatch or ask for a campus supervisor calling 703.764.5000.

Where is the Police Department located on campus?

The NOVA Police Department has six offices, one on each NOVA campus.

  • Alexandria - AA 240
  • Annandale - CA 203
  • Loudoun - LR 267
  • Manassas - MH 309
  • Medical Education - 1st floor entrance off the parking garage
  • Woodbridge - WS 102

Is there a lost and found?

Lost and found is handled by the NOVA Police Department. Visit your respective NOVA police office to see if your lost item has been turned in.

What do I do if my car won't start when I'm on campus?

The NOVA Police Department provides motorist assistance on all of NOVA's campuses. Please contact NOVA Police Dispatch at 703.764.500 and have the following information available:

  • location of your vehicle
  • make, model, color and tag information for your vehicle
  • a call back number

What is SAFE training and how do I sign up for it?

Sexual Assault Free & Empowered (SAFE) is a FREE women's self-defense program offered by the NOVA Police Department. SAFE is dedicated to empowering women with the knowledge to reduce the occurrence of and/or respond to sexual assault. SAFE provides effective options by teaching women to take an active and positive role in their own self defense and psychological well-being.

Training sessions are offered every semester. Anyone part of the NOVA community and their female family members over the age of 12 can sign up FREE of charge. To find out when the next class will be offered, contact NOVA police community relations officer Tony Ong.

How do I find out about my court date?

If you were issued a traffic ticket (Virginia Uniformed Summons) and are required to appear in court, you can view your court date information on the Virginia Judicial Systems website.

How do I file a commendation for or complaint against a police officer or the police department?

Please send officer commendations to NOVA's Chief of Police, Daniel Dusseau. If you would like to file a complaint, please note the following procedures:

  1. Come to the Police Department on any NOVA campus and tell any employee that you want to make a compliant; or
    • A. Call the NOVA Police Department at 703.764.5000, and tell the person answering the phone that you want to make a complaint. (NOTE: Anyone making a telephone complaint will be required to fill out a complaint form in person).
    • B. Write your complaint and mail it to the chief of police at 7630 Little River Turnpike, Suite 900, Annandale, VA 22003.
  2. A supervisory officer will assist you in filling out a complaint form if you desire. This form asks you to identify yourself and provide specific details about your complaint. You will be required to affirm the accuracy of the information contained in the complaint by signing the form.
  3. Your complaint will be investigated, and you may be contacted and asked questions regarding your complaint.
  4. If it is going to take more than 30 days to investigate your complaint, you will receive a letter telling you approximately when you may expect a reply.
  5. Upon completion of the investigation, the findings will be reviewed by the chief of police, and you will receive a letter advising of the results of the investigation.

How do I report a crime or have a question about a crime?

If you have any questions about a crime or need to report a crime, you may come into any NOVA Police Department Office and ask to speak with a police officer. You may report a crime at any NOVA police location, even if the crime occurred elsewhere at NOVA. You may also contact us at 703.764.5000 or email PoliceDispatch@nvcc.edu.

If a crime occurs at a NOVA center, contact local police who will handle the case.