NOVA offers several methods to pay your tuition. Find out about installments plans, financial aid and more by clicking on the appropriate tab below.
- Payment Types
- Payment Plan
Pay Your Bill Online
NOVA accepts online payments in QuickPay by e-check with no fees or by credit/debit cards using Visa, MasterCard or American Express. Please note credit/debit card payments are assessed a service fee by Nelnet Business Solutions. You can complete all your business transactions with the College through VCCS SIS: Student Information System in myNOVA.
To pay online, go to QuickPay. The system may take a few minutes to process your payment, so don't click the payment authorization more than once! Be sure to print out a copy of your confirmation number to have for future reference.
Refunds to your credit card are only available for payments made through NOVAConnect. All other refunds will be issued as checks payable to the student. Your refund will not be processed unless all debts to the College have been paid. Refunds for other services such as parking must be requested from the office providing the service.
Credit cards are not accepted at campus Business Offices.
Check or Money Order
Payments may be made in person or mailed to any campus Business Office payable to NVCC or NOVA, but must be received by 5 p.m. on the date of your payment deadline.
Include your name, Student ID number (NOVAConnect ID), and the telephone number of the account's owner. Addresses for each campus are available online and inside the back cover of the printed schedule.
Cash payments are accepted only in person at the campus Business Office.
You must have received an official Financial Aid Notification Letter from NOVA's College Financial Aid Office to pay with approved (anticipated) financial aid. Loans cannot be used to cover your bill until a promissory note and loan entrance counseling are completed. Work-study awards can never be used to cover your bill. You can view your awards online via NOVAConnect.
NOTE: If your award does not fully cover your tuition/fees, please complete payments using the Deferred Tuition Payment Plan, NOVAConnect or in person at a campus Business Office. You may apply for a student loan to cover additional tuition costs.
If your company or organization is paying for your tuition and fees, payment can be made by the following methods:
- Company check for the amount due, payable to Northern Virginia Community College. Include your name, Student ID number (NOVAConnect ID), and telephone number of the account's owner.
- Contract payment -- you must submit to a campus business office no later than 5 p.m. on the date of your payment deadline your employer's written authorization to be billed for your classes. If your contract was mailed or faxed by the authorizing agency, you must notify the campus business office at the time you register to ensure the contract is applied to your financial account.
Wire Transfer of Funds
NOVA can receive wire transfer of funds from an originator's bank. If you are interested in paying by this method, contact a campus Cashier or Business Manager to receive detailed instructions for how to transfer funds in this manner.
529 Prepaid Plans
If you are interested in paying by this method, go to 529 Prepaid Plans.
NOVA offers the NOVA Payment Plan to help you meet your educational expenses. The Payment Plan is administered by Tuition Management Systems (TMS), a third-party company that allows you to pay tuition in monthly payments for a set period of time. There is no credit check required and no interest is charged to participate. There is a nominal enrollment fee (non-refundable).
For more information, please contact the NOVA Tuition Payment Plan Information Line at 703.450.2562 or email NOVApaymentplan@nvcc.edu.
- Automatic Bank Payment (ACH)
- Credit Card/Debit Cards: Discover, MasterCard, American Express and now VISA.
Payments are processed on the 16th of the month. If a credit card or debit card is used, a service fee of 2.5% will be added to each transaction.
Cost to Participate: $35, $40 or $45 enrollment fee per agreement, depending on the number of payments. There is a non-refundable returned payment fee if a payment is returned.
Many features are similar to the previous payment plan, but some deadlines and processes are different. Please read the information below carefully.
Important Plan Information
- It is the responsibility of each student in the plan to make sure their payment plan covers their enrollment to avoid being dropped from classes.
- Automatic changes may occur to update your TMS account.
- Students or payers can call TMS directly six days before the next payment due date to request a monthly payment adjustment based on enrollment changes. All changes will require one day for school approval, and five days, as required by TMS, for processing.
- If a payment is returned, there is a $30 return fee charged by TMS.
TMS WILL NOT MAKE ANY RE-ATTEMPTS TO COLLECT RETURNED PAYMENTS.
Students or payers may be notified by TMS of returned/missed payments. It is the student’s responsibility to ensure all payments are current to avoid cancellation of their payment plan.
If your payment plan is cancelled, you will be required to re-enroll as long as the payment plan is still open. A new enrollment fee and another down payment will be required. After the payment plan is closed, the difference between the amount collected by the payment plan and your SIS tuition balance, must be made directly to the college or your classes may be dropped.
Keep all deadlines in mind when planning for your tuition expenses.
All payment plan participants are reminded to closely monitor their payment plan account, College enrollment and College email for notification from TMS or NOVA. Deadlines for canceling a plan account, making changes that affect the next payment and other important dates and deadlines CANNOT be adjusted or changed. Please do not assume that your account with TMS will be automatically adjusted if Financial Aid is awarded.
On the 12- or 16-week CENSUS DATE, (the last day to drop classes with a refund) you may be dropped from classes that are not covered by your TMS payment plan or another method of payment. Only the payer (responsible party) may receive change notices from TMS. In some cases, this could be a parent or relative, and not necessarily the student.
If you have any questions about setting up your payment plan account, missed payments or to request changes, call TMS at 800.337.0291.
Fall 2018 Payment Plan Last Day to Enroll Online Required Deposit and Fee Number of Payments Months of Payments Enrollment Fee 06/16/18 20% + Fee Deposit + 4 July - October $35 07/16/18 25% + Fee Deposit + 3 August - October $40 08/24/18 50% + Fee Deposit + 2 September - October $45
- Monthly payments collected on the 16th of the month.
- Last day to increase your payment plan account is 8/24/18 by 4:00p.m.
- Last day to decrease from the payment plan is 9/06/18 by 4:00p.m. for the 1st college deposit received.
- Delinquent payment plans may be cancelled on or prior to 9/06/18.
- Last day to decrease the payment plan is 10/21/18 by 4:00p.m. prior to the 2nd college deposit received.
Summer 2018 Payment Plan Last Day to Enroll Online Required Deposit and Fee Number of Payments Months of Payments Enrollment Fee 04/16/18 25% + Fee Deposit + 3 May - July $35 05/16/18 50% + Fee Deposit + 2 June - July $40
- Last day to increase your payment plan account is 5/16/18 by 4:00p.m.
- Last day to decrease from the payment plan is 5/22/18 by 4:00p.m. for the 1st college deposit received.
- Delinquent payment plans may be cancelled on or prior to 5/23/18.
- Last day to decrease the payment plan is 7/23/18 by 4:00p.m. prior to the 2nd college deposit received.
Spring 2018 Payment Plan Last Day to Enroll Online Required Deposit and Fee Number of Payments Months of Payments Enrollment Fee 11/29/17 40% + Fee Deposit + 3 December - February $35 12/15/17 40% + Fee Deposit + 2 January - February $40 1/16/18 50% + Fee Deposit + 1 February $40
- Last day to increase your payment plan account is 1/16/18 by 4:00 p.m.
- Last day to decrease from the payment plan is 1/22/18 by 4:00 p.m. for the 1st college deposit received.
- Delinquent payment plans may be cancelled on or prior to 1/23/18.
- Last day to decrease the payment plan is 2/20/18 by 4:00 p.m. prior to the 2nd college deposit received.
How to Enroll in the NOVA Payment Plan
Once you have enrolled in classes:
- Go to www.nvcc.edu.
- Log in to myNOVA.
- Select VCCS SIS.
- Select Self Service.
- Select Student Center.
- Select Apply for Payment Plan (under Finances; My Account).
- Select Apply for Payment Plan (located next to Total Due). You will be taken to the Payment Plan Site at afford.com.
- Select Payment Plan Option.
- Tell them about yourself and who will be making the payments.
- Select billing preference.
- Create an account at TMS.
- Agree to TMS terms and conditions.
- Sign up for the automatic payments.
- Pay the enrollment fee and down payment.
You MUST pay the enrollment fee and down payment to activate your account and hold your classes. Remember, if you are going to pay your full tuition balance, you can pay directly from the NOVA website to avoid paying the plan enrollment fee.
Enrolling in the Payment Plan
1. I am trying to enroll in the TMS payment plan but it will not let me set one up. What is the problem?
- Any holds that prevent you from adding classes on your NOVA student account must be resolved before enrolling for the semester.
- You must be enrolled in classes before you can enroll in the payment plan.
- Your tuition amount cannot exceed the 15 credit out of state rate for the current semester.
- Enroll using a desk top or laptop computer.
- Do not use a mobile device. Use Firefox or Internet Explorer browsers.
- Turn off your pop up blocker.
Add/Drop Classes Adjustment
1. I am adding a class, do I need to go back online and complete another agreement?
No. If you add a class you should call the TMS Information Line 800.337.0291 or the NOVA Payment Plan Information Line at 703.450.2562 to inform them that you have added/dropped a class and need to have your agreement adjusted. You can also view your Payment Plan account online to see if it has been automatically adjusted.
2. I dropped all my classes and already paid a down payment. When do I get my money back and when will my agreement be terminated?
Refunds are issued by the College approximately 60 days after the last day of the add/drop period (12- or 16- Week Census Date). It is your responsibility to contact the College to verify that your classes are dropped and request termination of the agreement. The enrollment fee collected by Tuition Management Systems is non-refundable.
Changes to the NOVA Payment Plan Agreement
1. How far in advance do I have to notify the College of a need to adjust my plan in order to impact the next payment?
Requests for plan changes must be made at least three business days in advance of the scheduled payment date to ensure the payment is not charged. Changes or cancellations can only be made to future uncollected monthly installments and not to initial down payments.
2. I have changed my bank account and address. What should I do?
You need to call Tuition Management Systems directly at 1.800.337.0291 to advise them any time you change your bank account, address, email address, or phone number. You can also make changes by logging in to your payment plan account.
3. I need to change my payment date to the 25th. Can you help me?
Payment dates are strictly on the 16th of the month, unless the 16th falls on a weekend or holiday. If the 16th should fall on a weekend or holiday, your payment will be attempted the following business day.
4. Is there a way for me to review my agreement online to make sure the proper adjustment has been made?
Yes, go to nvcc.afford.com and login to view your payment plan account.
Credit Card Payments
1. What credit cards are accepted by the Payment Plan?
American Express, Discover, MasterCard and Visa are accepted.
2. Will I have to pay an additional fee if I use a credit card or debit card versus a checking account?
Yes. TMS charges a convenience fee (in addition to the enrollment fee and down payment fee) for credit card payments.
3. How much is this fee?
The amount of the fee varies based upon the amount of the payment agreement. If a credit card or debit card is used, a convenience fee of 2.5% will be added to each transaction.
1. How soon is my down payment due?
Your down payment and enrollment fee, as stated in the brochure and on the Payment Plan agreement, is due immediately. Until the down payment and enrollment fees are paid your account is not active and your classes are not being protected (so they will not drop). Please be sure the funds are available in your account when you enroll in the NOVA Payment Plan.
2. I registered for the Payment Plan but decided to pay the College in full. Can I stop my down payment?
No. The down payment and the enrollment fee are processed immediately, NOVA and TMS cannot stop the attempt to charge the account provided on the agreement. Once you have paid the remaining balance to the College in full, you can call the NOVA Payment Plan Information Line 703.450.2562 or TMS 1.800.337.0291 to request cancellation of the agreement.
3. I didn't realize I was short of funds in my account, and there will not be enough money in my account for the down payment. What will happen?
If your down payment should return due to insufficient funds, stop payment, or incorrect bank account information, your agreement will be cancelled. If an email address is provided on the agreement, you will receive notification from TMS.
Enrollment and Enrollment Fee
1. Is it safe to enroll online?
Yes. TMS ensures that all information is kept confidential by encrypting all data using the latest in technology.
2. Is there a dollar amount limit to enroll in the TMS Payment Plan?
Yes, the dollar amount limit for activating a payment plan is the 15 credit out of state tuition rate. If you are enrolled in classes that exceed that amount you must first pay that difference to NOVA before you can enroll in the payment plan.
3. When does my enrollment fee come out of my checking account?
The Enrollment fee is automatically deducted at the same time the down payment is charged. Please make sure that you have enough funds to cover both the down payment and the enrollment fee.
Financial Aid Adjustments
1. My Financial Aid has come in; will TMS adjust my Payment Plan?
No. You will need to call the NOVA Payment Plan Information Line at 703.450.2562 or TMS Information Line 1.800.337.0291 to notify them of the financial aid you received. TMS does not receive notification of your financial aid award. It is your responsibility to confirm this information with the College.
2. I overpaid on my TMS Payment Plan. When will TMS send my refund?
All refunds will be issued by the College. Refunds will not be issued until approximately 30-45 days from the last day of the Add/Drop period, otherwise known as the Census Date.
1. I didn't have enough money in my account for the monthly payment, what will happen?
You will receive notification by e-mailfrom TMS on how the regarding missed payment will be handled. TMS may cancel the agreement if the payments are not current. There will be $30 service fee charged by TMS to your account for each failed payment.
2. Why was I dropped from the TMS plan?
Your Payment Plan Agreement can be cancelled because you were not current on one of the following items: tuition payments, enrollment fee, or missed payment fees. You must be current on all payments or you may be dropped from the program.
For more information on NOVA’s Payment Plan, contact the NOVA Payment Plan Information Line at 703.450.2562 or email NOVAPaymentPlan@nvcc.edu.