ADMISSION REQUIREMENTS -- revised International Student section

International Students
This College is authorized by federal law to enroll non-immigrant students. Admissions offices must comply fully with federal law and regulations regarding admission of non-immigrant students and issuance of the I-20 form, Certificate of Eligibility for Non-immigrant (F-1) Student Status, for student visas. Except as restricted by federal law or regulation, College policies apply equally to all students regardless of immigration status.

If your native language is not English, when you arrive at the college you must complete the English placement test (ACCUPLACER) before you register for classes. Your test score may require that you complete English as a Second Language (ESL) courses—in the credit or non-credit program—before you may enroll in any other courses. Information on the requirement is available from the Admissions and Records Office.

Student Visas (F-1 Status). If you require student immigration status (F-1), the following prerequisites must be met before the College can issue an I-20 form, Certificate of Eligibility for Non-Immigrant (F-1) Student Status.

1. You must be in the United States at the time of your application to the College.
1. You must submit an application to apply for full-time enrollment to the College.
2. You must submit documentation of eligibility, including the following items:

a. The equivalent of an American high school diploma.
b. Official transcripts and records of previous educational experiences translated into English and certified by the institution you attended.
c. Verification of financial support.
d. A TOEFL (Test of English as a Foreign Language) score of at least 500. Applicants who are in the local geographical area may satisfy this requirement by successfully completing the College English proficiency test. International students applying to the college for academic degree programs must submit a TOEFL score.* If your TOEFL score is higher than 173 on the computer test, or 500 on the paper and pencil test you may be admitted to a degree program (using an Academic I-20). Once on campus, you will take the College's ACCUPLACER test, which indicates the level at which you may begin your studies at the College.

If you have a TOEFL score of less than 173/500, or if you do not have a TOEFL score and are only interested in English Language training, you may be admitted tot he College's Continuing Education English as a Second Language (ESL) programs (using a Language Training I-20).

*International students who are visiting the College may submit an application and take the College's ACCUPLACER test. These test results can be used in place of TOEFL scores when submitting our I-20 packets.

All required documents and test scores for I-20 applicants must be received sixty (60) days prior to the beginning of classes for the semester you plan to attend.
After you have provided the required documentation, been admitted for full-time enrollment, and been placed in a degree program and ESL 06/12 an academic I-20 form is issued by the College.

When registering for classes, you should be aware that for online or distance education courses (courses that do not require a student’s physical attendance for classes, examinations, or other purposes) no more than three (3) credits or one course per semester/session may be counted towards the full-time enrollment required to maintain the F-1 status.

If you are in the United States and already have F-1 status but wish to transfer to NVCC, you must first complete at least one term at the school that issued you the I-20. If you currently hold another type of immigration status, or need further information about student visas, you should contact the Admissions and Records Office.

Other Immigrant Status. It is the policy of Northern Virginia Community College to admit to the College those applicants who are immigrants residing in Virginia who have graduated from a Virginia high school with a high school diploma or equivalent, even if they are not able to document their legal presence. Those who are undocumented will pay tuition at the out-of-state rate.

For enrollment in English as a Second Language (ESL) non-credit programs. The availability of non-credit ESL programs varies by campus. You should contact the Continuing Education Office at the campus of your choice for information about these programs and procedures for requesting an I-20 form for ESL study.

This information has been updated/corrected from the original printed version. Click here, or on the text for more information.



Northern Virginia Community College 2004
This page was last updated on May 6, 2004 12:43 PM