When you register for a class at NOVA, you are making a commitment to attend the class regularly, either in person or online. Since the Commonwealth of Virginia contributes a significant portion of your educational costs, you must establish your attendance or participation early in the semester, rather than taking a seat that might have gone to another student. The census date marks the last day to make that change.
If you do not attend at least one class meeting or participate in an online learning class by the census date (last day to drop with a tuition refund), your class registration will be administratively deleted.
Administrative deletion means:
- there will be no record of the class or any letter grade on your transcript;
- the course credits will be deducted from your course load;
- the reduction of credits may affect your student status (full-time or part-time); and
- you will not receive a tuition refund.
Summer 2014 census dates are as follows:
- First 6-week session in-person classes - May 27
- First 8-week session in-person classes - May 27
- 12-week session in-person classes - May 31
- Second 8-week session in-person classes - June 23
- Second 6-week session in-person classes - July 7
See the Academic Calendar for Extended Learning Institute start and census dates (last day to drop with a tuition refund). For variable duration (dynamic) classes, the census date is individually set. To find the census date for dynamic classes, do the following:
- Go to www.nvcc.edu/schedule
- Select the applicable term -- Fall, Spring, or Summer
- Enter the Term, Subject Area, Campus/Center, Session (Dynamic)
- Click Search
- Click on the 5-digit course ID for details
The census date for that class (drop with refund) can be found at the bottom. For more help, contact the Call Center at 703.323.3000.