Schedule of Classes: Summer 2014

Special Populations

High School and Home Schooled Students

If you are a high school junior or senior or the home school equivalent, you may be eligible to take NOVA credit classes through dual enrollment. Get more information and links to forms you’ll need to submit here.

In addition to courses offered at NOVA campuses, NOVA classes are offered at several local high schools. Ask your high school counselor or go to the dual enrollment website to discover which course options may be available to you.

All dual enrollment students must meet admission, placement, and course prerequisite requirements. Details are provided on the dual enrollment website.

Military Members and their Dependents

NOVA offers on-site credit classes for active duty regular and reserve service members and their dependents at Fort Myer Army Post, Fort Belvoir, the Pentagon, and the Lifelong Learning Centers at Henderson Hall and Quantico Marine Base. Many of the classes are compressed to meet the demanding schedules of service members. Get admission information for military members and dependents here.

F-1/M-1 Students

NOVA is one of the most internationally diverse colleges in the United States, with students representing more than 180 countries enrolled in our programs. F-1/M-1 students must enroll in a specified number of credit hours each term to maintain F-1/M-1 status. There are international student advisors on each campus who can help you learn what you need to know. For complete details on how to apply and request an I-20, visit the international student website or contact the Office of International Student Services at or 703–323–3423.

Senior Citizens

The Virginia Senior Citizens Higher Education Act of 1974 and amendments allow senior citizens to take classes at no charge under certain circumstances. If you are 60 years of age or older and have been legally domiciled in Virginia for one year prior to the beginning of the semester in which you enroll, you may qualify to attend credit and many non-credit classes at NOVA without paying tuition.

You may take a credit course for free on a space-available basis if your taxable income did not exceed $15,000 in the previous year. Regardless of income, you may take a credit course for free if you audit (do not receive a grade). You may take a non-credit, Workforce Development course for free if space is available. To enroll in noncredit courses, contact the Workforce Development Office at the campus where the course is being offered. For all courses, you must complete both an application for admission and the Senior Citizen Certification of Eligibility for Free Tuition. Senior citizens may enroll in ELI courses if there is available space. 

NOTE: To audit an ELI online learning course, you must have the instructor’s permission.

Please note that under this program you may not register until the first day of classes.

Tuition-paying students are accommodated in courses before senior citizens participating in this program are enrolled. However, if you have completed 75% of your degree requirements, you may enroll at the same time as tuition-paying students.

  • If you apply for free tuition AFTER you register and pay for a class, you are not eligible for a refund for that class.
  • Senior citizens shall still be expected to pay course expenses other than tuition, such as laboratory fees.
  • Audit and noncredit enrollment is limited to three courses in one term.
  • The College reserves the right to cancel any class.

The Lifelong Learning Institutes on NOVA’s Annandale and Manassas campuses also offer noncredit classes, seminars, and trips for seniors. For information, call 703–503–0600 (Annandale) or 703–361–6310 (Manassas).

Students with Disabilities

If you require any special services or accommodations, contact the NOVA counselor for students with disabilities at the campus of your choice at least two weeks prior to the beginning of classes. Visit the disability support services website for additional details.

Visiting College Students

Each year, thousands of students from four-year colleges and universities attend NOVA. They come to take a class that isn’t offered at their own institution, accelerate their studies, or make up a difficult class. Visiting college students can get complete details about how to apply and enroll for classes here.

Washington, D.C. Residents

The District of Columbia provides a variety of grant resources to students who are attending NOVA, including the DC Tuition Assistance Grant (DCTAG) and the DC College Access Program (DC-CAP) Last Dollar Awards. For qualification criteria and information on how to apply, call the District’s Higher Education Financial Services Office at 877–485–6751 or visit the D.C. One App website.