Advising is available at Counseling Services at each campus, and from faculty advisors. See the Directory of Services page in this schedule for campus locations and telephone numbers or visit the Counseling Services Web site at

Alexandria Campus
Walk-In Advising—The Counseling Office is in the Library and counselors are available on a walk-in basis Monday through Thursday, 8:30AM-7:30PM; Friday, 8:30AM-5:00PM.

Annandale Campus
Advising—Walk-in advising for new students and students without a major is available weekdays during registration. Counseling Center hours are Monday through Thursday, 8:30AM-7:30PM, and Friday 8:30AM-5:00PM. Call 703-323-3200 for information. Continuing students who have selected a major should contact the instructional division for advice. Information for Nursing and Allied Health is available through the Health Tech Advisor at the Medical Education Campus.

Loudoun Campus
Walk-In Advising—Counselors are available Monday through Thursday 8:30AM-7:30PM and Friday, 8:30AM-5:00PM. It is strongly recommended that new students consult a counselor (Rm. 253) before registering for classes.

Manassas Campus
Walk-In Advising—Walk-in counseling hours are Monday through Thursday, 8:30AM-7:30PM, and Friday, from 8:30AM-5:00PM, except for holidays.

Medical Education Campus
Walk-In Advising—Advising hours are Monday through Thursday, 8:30AM-7:30PM, and Friday 8:30AM-5:00PM and some Saturdays. Nursing and Allied Health information session dates and times are located at Please contact the Academic Advising Center for updated office hours at 703-822-6531.

Woodbridge Campus
Walk-in Advising—Counselors are available Monday through Thursday from 8:30AM-7:30PM, and Friday from 8:30AM-5:00PM. Faculty advisors will be available May 12, 9:00AM–3:00PM and 5:00–7:30PM.

Extended Learning Institute (ELI)
Advising for distance learning courses is available through any campus or the ELI Counseling Office at

For specific information on the Co-op process, visit the Co-op’s Web site at or see the College Catalog at for information.

Some courses require prerequisites or co-requisites. These requirements, which were established to ensure your success in the course, are identified in the Description of Courses section of the College Catalog. You may not enroll in a course for which you do not meet the prerequisites by the time the course begins. (Only the dean of the instructional division offering the course may authorize a waiver of any prerequisite.) You may be administratively dropped from any course for which you have not met the prerequisite.

See the College Catalog or visit for information on this policy.

Please refer to the College Catalog or visit for information. For assistance, contact a Disability Services counselor on any campus.

You may inquire about your grades by using the NovaConnect, either on the Web or by telephone at—703-323-3770 or 703-330-3770 (Prince William Co.). End-of-semester grade reports are not mailed. You may print your grades or print an “Unofficial Transcript” by using the Web NovaConnect at

You must meet with your faculty advisor no later than May 19, 2005 to review your academic record. Failure to contact your advisor in adequate time may result in late notification of outstanding requirements and ineligibility to graduate at the end of the summer session. You must submit your application for graduation no later than May 27, 2005 to the Admissions and Records Office on the campus where your faculty advisor is located and where your degree program is offered.

NVCC offers honors courses to highly motivated students who are seeking an intensive learning experience. Through a variety of instructional methods, students are challenged to think broadly and independently about the material covered in a course.

Honors courses receive a special designation on student transcripts, and students who successfully complete a minimum of 18 hours in selected honors core courses will be awarded the Honors seal upon graduation.

Honors sections of courses are listed with other courses in the Schedule of Classes. Honors courses may be offered as separate sections of courses or as options for selected students within otherwise traditional courses.

Students must have special permission to register for honors courses. To obtain permission, please contact the chair of the campus honors committee (see below). You should meet at least one of the following criteria to be admitted: (1) a minimum of 92 on the reading and 94 on the writing sections of the computerized English placement test; (2) a GPA of 3.50 or above at NVCC; (3) SAT scores of 1100 or above; (4) graduation in the top 10% of your high school graduating class; or (5) special interest, aptitude, or life experiences that suggest the ability to learn creatively and independently within a course.

For more information about the honors program, contact the following:

Alexandria Campus: Mr. Robert Brunner,, 703-845-6242.
Annandale Campus: Mr. Gerald Boyd,, 703-323-4441.
Loudoun Campus: Ms. Bridget Pool, 703-450-2513,, or any Loudoun Campus counselor.
Manassas Campus: Dr. Jean Goodine, 703-257-6693,, or any Manassas Campus counselor.
Woodbridge Campus: Ms. Michele Wendell,, 703-878-5808.

See campus course listings for honors courses offered.

Students in credit courses can receive a photo identification card from the campus NOVACARD Office. After registering for classes, students should wait 24 hours before going to a campus NOVACARD office or should present proof of registration and a current photo ID.

Buy Your Permit Online—Beginning April 20, 2005—log-on to Permits are required for all vehicles parked in all lots. Student permits are valid only in “B” lots. In addition to the Web site, beginning May 2, 2005, permits will be sold at Parking Offices at all six campuses. Students may not park in the faculty/staff lots. To enter the Medical Education Campus parking garage, you must have both a NOVACARD ID card and a valid parking permit.

The current charge for a parking permit is $35.00 per semester/session. Parking permits are required for all sessions of enrollment, including summer. Permits must be displayed on either the rear window on the driver’s side of the vehicle or on the rear bumper of the driver’s side. Permits are designed with an adhesive backing to be placed on the outside of the vehicle. If your original permit has been lost or stolen, you will be required to purchase another one. Parking regulations are printed in the Parking Brochure that is available in the Parking Offices or on the College Web site at Visitors should use meters or the hourly pay lots. Payment is required at meters and in the hourly pay lots 24 hours per day, 7 days a week.

Parking refunds must be requested from the Parking Office on or before the published “last day for tuition refund” date. The remnants of the permit and the purchase receipt must be submitted with the request for refund. If all your classes are cancelled or moved to an off-campus location, you may request a full refund by returning the permit on or before the last day for tuition refund date. In all other cases, a refund of $30 will be made for a permit returned on or before the last day for tuition refund. No refunds will be made for permits after the published date.

The College Safety Report is available on the College Web site at It is also available in printed form at campus Police and Public Safety offices. The report includes statistics concerning crimes that occurred on College property. The report includes institutional policies on campus security, alcohol and drug use, crime prevention, the reporting of crimes, sexual assault, and other matters.

There are provisions in Virginia law, Code of Virginia 23-9.6:1 and 23-38.56, whereby certain senior citizens may be eligible to enroll for courses on a credit or non-credit basis with the waiver of tuition and fees. If your age is sixty or over before the beginning of the term, your legal domicile has been Virginia for one year, and your taxable income for the preceding year did not exceed $15,000, you may be eligible to enroll in credit courses on a space-available basis. The same criteria apply for non-credit classes, except that there is no income limitation. You must be admitted to the College and complete the form, Senior Citizen Certification of Eligibility for Free Tuition. Those who are eligible for tuition waiver may register only on or after the first day of the appropriate class session and only in-person at a campus Admissions and Records Office. (Note: Senior citizens choosing to have tuition waived may not register through the NovaConnect Web or telephone.) For more information about special senior citizen enrollment for credit, audit, and non-credit courses, see the College Catalog, and for questions, contact the Admissions and Records office at any campus.

Lifetime Learning Institute (LLI) and Lifelong Learning Institute (LLI), independent affiliates of NVCC (Annandale and Manassas, respectively), offer non-credit, seminars, courses, and trips for seniors. For further information at Annandale, call 703-503-0600, e-mail at, or visit the Web site at, and for Manassas, call 703-361-6310 or visit the Web site at

First-time NVCC College students are required to take SDV 100 or another SDV course before enrolling for their 16th semester hour at the College. Students should take the SDV/College Success Skills course during their first college semester. Through the SDV courses, students gain information and skills designed to enhance college success and receive assistance in making educational and career plans.

The College encourages students to be prepared for the need of medical care by having appropriate accident and sickness insurance. As a resource, the dean of Student Development on each campus provides a list of companies that offer student health insurance programs.

In accordance with the Drug-Free Schools and Communities Act of 1989, NVCC supports efforts to eliminate drug and alcohol abuse through a series of programs and services designed to prevent use of substances that are illegal and harmful, and to assist individuals who suffer from substance abuse. The use of drugs and the abuse of alcohol can imperil your health. The illegal possession, use or distribution of controlled substances may result in legal sanctions including imprisonment and fines. Such conduct on campus can result also in the College taking disciplinary action as stated in the Student Handbook. If you or someone you know needs help, contact the Counseling Center at any of the campuses for information about referral to community agencies.

Northern Virginia Community College encourages all eligible students to register to vote. Voter registration materials can be obtained at each campus Business, Counseling, Admissions and Records Offices, and Learning Resource Services. Information and voter registration forms may also be obtained at the following Web sites: the Virginia State Board of Elections, and the Federal Election Commission,


Northern Virginia Community College 2004
This page was last updated on March 21, 2005 5:05 PM