NVCC SUMMER 2002 Class Schedule

General Information

[ NVCC Home Page | Schedule Search | Table of Contents | Previous Page | Next Page ]

    Advising is available at Counseling Services at each campus, and from faculty advisors. See the Directory of Services page in this schedule for campus locations and telephone numbers or visit the Counseling Services Web site at http://www.nvcc.edu/stuservices/educ.htm.

Alexandria Campus
    Walk-In Advising—The Counseling Office is in the Library and counselors are available on a walk-in basis Monday through Thursday, 8:30AM-7:30PM; Friday, 8:30AM-5:00PM.

Annandale Campus
    Advising—Walk-in advising for new students and students without a major is available weekdays during registration. Counseling Center hours are Monday through Thursday, 8:30AM-7:30PM, and Friday 8:30AM-5:00PM. Call 703-323-3200 for information. Continuing students who have selected a major should contact the instructional division for advice.

Loudoun Campus
    Walk-In Advising—Counselors are available Monday through Thursday 8:30AM-7:30PM and Friday, 8:30AM-5:00PM. It is strongly recommended that new students consult a counselor (Rm. 253) before registering for classes.

Manassas Campus
    Walk-In Advising—Walk-in counseling hours are Monday through Thursday, 8:30AM-7:30PM, and Friday, from 8:30AM-5:00PM, except for holidays.

Woodbridge Campus
    Walk-in Advising—Counselors are available Monday through Thursday from 8:30AM-7:30PM, and Friday from 8:30AM-5:00PM. Faculty advisors will be available Thursday, May 16, 9:00AM–3:00PM and 5:00–7:30PM.

Extended Learning Institute (ELI)
    Advising for ELI classes is through your home campus. See schedules above.

    See the College Catalog or visit http://www.nvcc.edu/catalog/cat2001/instruct/coopedu.htm
for information.

    Courses that have prerequisites are identified in this schedule and in the course listing section of the College Catalog. You may not enroll in a course unless you have successfully completed all prerequisites.

    See the College Catalog or visit http://www.nvcc.edu/catalog/cat2001/admin/academic.htm
for information on this policy.

    Please refer to the College Catalog or visit http://www.nvcc.edu/catalog/cat2001/student/disability.htm
for information. For assistance, contact the Disability Services counselor on your home campus.

    You may inquire about your grades by calling NOVAnet—703-323-3770 or 703-330-3770 (Prince William Co.). If you do not wish to have your grades available through NOVAnet, contact your home campus Admissions and Records Office.

    You must meet with your faculty advisor no later than May 17, 2002 to review your academic record. Failure to contact your advisor in adequate time may result in late notification of outstanding requirements and ineligibility to graduate at the end of the summer session. You must submit your application for graduation to your home campus Admissions and Records Office no later than May 31, 2002.

    NVCC offers honors courses to highly motivated students who are seeking an intensive learning experience. Through a variety of instructional methods, students are challenged to think broadly and independently about the material covered in a course.
    Honors courses receive a special designation on student transcripts, and students who successfully complete a minimum of 18 hours in selected honors core courses will be awarded the Honors seal upon graduation.
    Honors sections of courses are listed with other courses in the Schedule of Classes. Honors courses may be offered as separate sections of courses or as options for selected students within otherwise traditional courses.
    Students must have special permission to register for honors courses. To obtain permission, please contact the chair of the campus honors committee (see below). You should meet at least one of the following criteria to be admitted: (1) a minimum of 92 on the reading and 94 on the writing sections of the computerized English placement test or 28 on reading and 33 on the writing sections of the paper and pencil English placement test; (2) a GPA of 3.50 or above at NVCC; (3) SAT scores of 1100 or above; (4) graduation in the top 10% of your high school graduating class; or (5) special interest, aptitude, or life experiences that suggest the ability to learn creatively and independently within a course.
    For more information about the honors program, contact the following:

    Alexandria Campus: Mr. Robert Brunner, 703-845-6242.
    Annandale Campus: Mr. Gerald Boyd, 703-323-4441.

    Loudoun Campus: Ms. Bridget Pool, 703-450-2511 or any Loudoun Campus counselor.

    Manassas Campus: Dr. Jean Goodine, 703-257-6693 or any Manassas Campus counselor.
    Woodbridge Campus: Dr. Robert Kilmer, 703-878-5660.

    See campus course listings for honors courses offered.

    Permits are required for all vehicles parked in all lots. Student permits are valid only "B" lots. Permits are sold at Parking Offices at Alexandria, Annandale and Woodbridge and at the campus Police Offices at Loudoun and Manassas. Students may not park in the faculty/staff lots. The charge for a parking permit is $25.00 per semester. Parking permits are required for all sessions of enrollment, including summer. Permits must be permanently stuck to the outside rear window on the driver’s side of the vehicle or on the rear bumper of the driver’s side. If your original permit has been lost or stolen, you will be required to purchase another one. Parking regulations are printed in the Parking Brochure that is available in the Police/Parking Offices or on the College Web site at http://www.nvcc.edu/accounting/auxil/parking.htm
. Visitors should use meters or the hourly pay lots. Payment is required at meters and in the hourly pay lots 24 hours per day, 7 days a week.
    Parking refunds must be requested from the Parking or Police Office within the published add/drop period. The remnants of the permit and the purchase receipt must be submitted with the request for refund.
    A full refund will be issued to any student who purchased a semester permit when all classes are cancelled or moved to an off-campus location. A refund of $20 will be made in all other cases if the refund is requested within the published add/drop period. Additional information is available from campus Parking/Police Offices.
    To purchase a parking sticker by mail, return the Parking Registration Form (NVCC 105-66), (http://www.nvcc.edu/forms/pdf/105-066.pdf
) no later than May 6, 2002 to the Police or Parking Services Office of the campus you plan to attend.

    The College Safety Report is available on the College Web site at http://www.nvcc.edu/depts/College
. It is also available in printed form at campus Police and Public Safety offices. The report includes statistics concerning crimes that occurred on College property. The report includes institutional policies on campus security, alcohol and drug use, crime prevention, the reporting of crimes, sexual assault, and other matters.

    There are provisions in Virginia law whereby certain senior citizens may be eligible to enroll for courses on a credit or non-credit basis with the waiver of tuition and fees. If your age is sixty or over before the beginning of the term, your legal domicile has been Virginia for one year, and your taxable income for the preceding year did not exceed $10,000, you may be eligible to enroll in courses on a space available basis. You must be admitted to the College and complete the form, Senior Citizen Certification of Eligibility for Free Tuition. Those who are eligible for tuition waiver may register only after add/drop registration has begun. For more information about special senior citizen enrollment, see the College Catalog, and for questions, contact the Admissions and Records office at any campus.

    First-time NVCC College students are required to take STD 100 or another STD course before enrolling for their 16th semester hour at the College. Students should take the STD course during their first college semester. Through the STD courses, students gain information and skills designed to enhance college success and receive assistance in making educational and career plans.

    For more information about student health insurance, call 1-800-222-5780. Students are able to enroll online by accessing ABCO 100’s Web site at http://www.abco100.com

    In accordance with the Drug-Free Schools and Communities Act of 1989, NVCC supports efforts to eliminate drug and alcohol abuse through a series of programs and services designed to prevent use of substances that are illegal and harmful, and to assist individuals who suffer from substance abuse. The use of drugs and the abuse of alcohol can imperil your health. The illegal possession, use or distribution of controlled substances may result in legal sanctions including imprisonment and fines. Such conduct on campus can also result in the College taking disciplinary action as stated in the Student Handbook. If you or someone you know needs help, contact the Counseling Center at any of the campuses for information about referral to community agencies.

    Northern Virginia Community College encourages all eligible students to register to vote. Voter registration materials can be obtained at each campus Business, Counseling, Admissions and Records Offices, and Learning Resource Services. Information and voter registration forms may also be obtained at the following Web sites: the Virginia State Board of Elections, http://www.sbe.state.va.us/
and the Federal Election Commission, http://www.fed.gov/elections.html.

Last revised:
Programming Support