NVCC 1995-1996 Catalog

Financial Information

[ NVCC Home Page | Table of Contents | Administrative Information | Previous Page | Next Page ]

Application Fee

There is no fee for the submission of an Application for Admission.


Tuition rates are printed in the Schedule of Classes. Tuition is due upon registration. Payment of tuition entitles you to use the library, bookstore, student lounge, and other facilities of the College except parking. There are no special library fees. You must pay for any school property that you damage or lose, such as laboratory or shop equipment, supplies, library books and materials.

Some courses such as music, physical education and aviation require non-college support services from other agencies and individuals. Costs for these additional charges are paid by you directly to the individual or agency providing the service.

All tuition and fees are approved by the State Board for Community Colleges which has the authority to change any and all tuition and fees without prior notice.

In-State Tuition Eligibility

To be eligible for in-state tuition rates, you must be domiciled in Virginia for a minimum of one year before the first official day of classes. See the "Domicile Requirements" section which follows for details.

To change your tuition status from out-of-state to in-state you must initiate the process by completing an Application for Virginia In-State Tuition Rates form. This form can be obtained at the Office of Admissions and Records on your home campus. It must be completed and returned to your home campus for review before the registration period begins for the semester in which the in-state charges will take effect.

The College reserves the right to recoup deficiency charges when the wrong tuition rate is paid. The Office of Admissions and Records on your home campus can clarify any question concerning domicile status.

Domicile Requirements

All applicants for admission who are claiming entitlement to in-state tuition privileges are required by Section 23.7-4, of the Code of Virginia, to complete an Application for Virginia In-State Tuition Rates form.

To be eligible for in-state tuition rates, you must be domiciled in Virginia for a minimum of one year before the first official day of classes. Domicile is defined as your "present, fixed home where you return following temporary absences and where you intend to stay indefinitely."

As a minor you have the same domicile as your parents/legal guardian. Once you become 18 years old, you may begin to establish a domicile that is different from your parents/legal guardian. However, if you are over 18 and are financially dependent on your parents/legal guardian, they must be domiciled in Virginia in order for you to be eligible for in-state tuition benefits.

The College will review many factors when determining your domicile, for example: residence during the past year prior to the first official day of classes, state to which income taxes are paid or filed, voter registration, motor vehicle registration, driver's license, employment, sources of financial support, other social or economic ties with Virginia or other states. The presence of any or all of these factors does not automatically result in Virginia domicile. The factors used to support a case for in-state tuition benefits must have existed for one year before the first official day of classes.

Residence or physical presence in Virginia primarily to attend a college or university does not entitle you to in-state tuition rates.

It is presumed that people falling within the following categories do not have the intent to be domiciled in Virginia: holders of temporary visas, persons who by law must maintain their domicile or legal residence in another state and persons who have selected another state or country as their domicile.

When enrollments must be limited for any program or course, first priority shall be given to qualified students who are domiciled in one of the political subdivisions supporting the College. These subdivisions are listed under "General Information".

Domicile requirements are subject to any changes in Virginia law pertaining to entitlement to reduced tuition charges.

Tuition Payment

Tuition is payable by cash, check, money order, contract, approved financial aid (except work study), VISA or MasterCard. Credit cards are accepted for tuition, service charges, parking fees, and fines. Checks and money orders (payable to NVCC) will generally only be accepted for the exact amount due.

A service charge of $25.00 is charged to you for any check that is dishonored, except when the bank is at fault. A dishonored check is defined as a check returned for insufficient funds, stop payment, or any other reason. A dishonored check is considered a debt to the College. Refer to the Section of Non-Payment of Debts and Holds on Student Records for additional information. A dishonored check that is not an error of the bank must be redeemed with cash, certified check, or money order. Personal checks will not be accepted for one year after the date of payment to the College for the dishonored check.

Tuition Refunds

Tuition refunds are not automatic except for courses canceled by the College.

You are eligible for a full refund if you drop one or more of your courses during the official add/drop periods as published in the Schedule of Classes and as indicated on your official receipt form. For special session classes the refund period is proportionate to the length of the class. Requests for refunds for ELI courses must be made in writing to ELI and postmarked within 15 percent of your enrollment period. Refund dates will be included in the packet mailed to you by ELI when you register. There is no refund of tuition after the refund period has passed except in cases where there is: 1) an administrative error by either the VCCS or the College, 2) extended illness or injury of the student, 3) death of student or immediate family member, 4) a national emergency declared by the President. Any of these instances must have occurred after the add/drop period. No refunds will be granted after the half-way point of a course. Requests that meet the above criteria must be submitted to the business manager of the student's home campus along with supporting documentation prior to the half-way point of a course.

Non-Payment of Debts

Continued attendance at NVCC is dependent upon proper settlement of all debts owed the institution. Should you fail to satisfy all due and payable amounts for tuition and fees, College loans, College fines, dishonored checks or other debts you owe the College, you may be dropped from your courses. Until all current debts have been satisfied, a hold will be placed on your records. See "Holds on Student Records."

If the College has agreed to accept tuition payment from a student's employer or other third-party provider, and the tuition is not paid within the required time, the student is responsible for the tuition payment. As stated above, continued enrollment is dependent upon proper settlement of the debt. If not paid, the student may be dropped from his or her courses. If the student is dropped, the debt to the College is not forgiven.

Holds on Student Records

A hold will be placed on your official record under certain conditions. Non-payment of financial obligations such as tuition, college fines, and other debts will result in a hold on your record. A hold will restrict you from registering, having transcripts or grade reports issued, or receiving other college services. Disciplinary action, academic suspension, or dismissal will also result in a hold on your registration.

The College may utilize collection agencies and offsets of state income tax returns to secure payment of indebtedness.

Graduation Fee

There is no fee for graduation.

Books and Supplies

You are expected to obtain your own books, supplies, and consumable materials needed in your studies. A bookstore is located on each campus. Check the Schedule of Classes for hours.


An NVCC transcript of your academic record may be issued from your home campus Office of Admissions and Records upon your written request or completion of NVCC form 125-89, Request for Transcript. You should submit your request at least 10 working days before the transcript is needed. There is no fee for transcripts. Official transcripts are released to other colleges or agencies only after you have completed one course at NVCC. Only an unofficial copy of your transcript will be released directly to you. Financial Aid transcripts are available at no cost through your home campus Financial Aid Office.

Library Fines

There is a charge for all overdue library materials. If you lose a book or other materials, you must notify the library to stop the accumulation of any fines. However, you will have to pay for lost materials. This rule also applies to books and materials you borrow from other libraries by using your NVCC student ID card.

A fine of ten cents a day (with a maximum fine of $5.00) will be charged for regular circulating material. Fines for reserved materials are fifty cents a day (with a $15.00 maximum). If a patron loses a book or some other material, the charge will be the replacement cost of the lost item plus any fines. Lost book payments are not refundable.

Vehicle Parking Fee

If you wish to park a vehicle in the student parking lots on campus, you must purchase a parking permit each semester from the Campus Police and Public Safety Office or the Parking Services Office. Display of a permit entitles you to use any student parking lot on any campus. Specific dates after which permits are required to be displayed are listed in the Schedule of Classes.

A limited number of parking meters are available at each campus except Alexandria. No permit is needed to park in a parking meter space. Displaying a valid parking permit does not constitute payment to a meter.

Last revised:
Comments to: webmaster@nvcc.edu