NVCC 1995-1996 Catalog


[ NVCC Home Page | Table of Contents | Administrative Information | Previous Page | Next Page ]
Before you register for classes, you must be admitted to the College.

Refer to the Schedule of Classes for specific instructions on how and when to register.

Extended Learning Institute Registration

Most Extended Learning Institute courses are available for you to start at any time convenient for you. Registration may take place on a campus or by mail through ELI. Registration details are available by calling the Extended Learning Institute (703) 323-3368. See the Extended Learning Institute section for additional information. You may apply to the College and register by mail at the same time.

Late Registration

If you have not registered by the time classes have begun, you may register during the late registration period. The dates for the late registration period are published in the Schedule of Classes. Late registration is not encouraged. If you register late, you are responsible for any course work you have missed.

Change of Registration

Schedule changes may be made by completing a Registration Worksheet and following the instructions in the Schedule of Classes. Failure to follow this procedure will place your enrollment in jeopardy. Changes are effective at the time they are processed. Retroactive changes are not permitted.

1. Dropping a Course

You may drop a course within the add/drop period as published in the Schedule of Classes. See the "Tuition Refunds" section for additional information.

2. Adding a Course

You may add a course within the add/drop period as published in the Schedule of Classes. Any request for entry into a course after the late registration period is discouraged. Written approval must be obtained from the instructor, the division chair, and the provost. If you add a course and then, before paying your tuition, you decide not to take it, you must drop the course and process your drop form through the Business Office. Otherwise, you will be charged for the course. 3. Cancellation of a Section or Course

by the College

The College will process a refund for courses or sections canceled by the College if no other course or section carrying the same number of credits is added.

4. Withdrawal from a Course

You may withdraw from a course within the first 60% of a session without academic penalty, and you will receive a grade of "W". You must complete a Course Withdrawal form (NVCC 125-47) and submit it to the Office of Admissions and Records. Withdrawal after the first 60% of the session will result in a grade of "F", except under mitigating circumstances which must be documented on the Course Withdrawal form, approved by the instructor of the course from which you are withdrawing, and submitted to the Office of Admissions and Records. This documentation will be retained electronically. See the "Grading System" section for explanation of grades.

If you have received any financial aid or veterans benefits, you must also report your withdrawal to your campus Financial Aid Office and/or veterans advisor. Failure to follow established procedures could affect your eligibility to return to NVCC or enter another college.

Specific Course Schedule Changes

In some circumstances, you may change courses or sections without additional tuition expense.

1. Regular Course to Developmental Course

In cases where a student enrolls in an entry-level regular course for which there is a preparatory developmental course, and then incurs difficulty in keeping up with the regular course work in the first three weeks (21 calendar days) of the course, students may, with the approval of the instructor, initiate a drop, and enroll in a developmental course which is more suited to his/her capabilities. In making the transfer from the regular course to the developmental course, the student will be charged additional tuition on a per hour basis for any additional credit hours. If the exchange results in fewer credit hours, the student qualifies for a tuition refund only if the transaction occurs during the regular add/drop period for the course being dropped.

2. Developmental Course to Another

Developmental Course

Students may transfer from one developmental course to another within the same discipline using the add/drop procedure form even though this transaction may occur after the standard add/drop period for the sixteen-week session. In these cases, the three-week (21 calendar days) limit does not apply. No change in tuition occurs if the change from one developmental course to another developmental course occurs within the same discipline and the credit-hour values of the courses remain identical. Any credit hours which are added as a result of this course exchange will result in additional tuition on a per hour basis. If the exchange results in fewer credit hours, the student qualifies for a tuition refund only if the transaction occurs during the regular add/drop period for the course being dropped.

3. Course Changes

Course changes after the end of the add/drop period require the approvals of the gaining instructor, the gaining division chair, and the provost. There is no refund for courses dropped and tuition is charged for courses added.

4. Course Section Changes

You may request a change from one section to another of the same course and course length within the same semester after the add/drop period for the sixteen-week session if you can justify mitigating circumstances. This justification must be recorded on an add/drop form and approved by the instructors of the sections involved and their respective division chairs. If such changes are approved, no additional tuition will be charged.

Auditing a Course

You may audit a course and attend without taking examinations. Registrations for audit will be accepted only during the late registration period each semester, and the approval of the instructor and the division chair is required. The regular tuition rate is charged. Requests for credit enrollment in a class will be given priority over audit enrollment. You may also audit Extended Learning Institute courses.

Audited courses carry no credit and do not count as a part of your course load. If you desire to change your status in a course from audit to credit, you must do so within the add/drop period for the session. Changes from credit to audit must be made by the official last day for students to withdraw from a class without penalty. NVCC form 125-12 Change from Credit to Audit must be completed and submitted to the Office of Admissions and Records on or before the withdrawal date. After this day, the audit grade "X" is invalid if you are enrolled for credit.

Contact the Office of Admissions and Records for instructions on auditing a course.

Senior Citizens Enrollment

The Virginia Senior Citizens Higher Education Act of 1974, and amendments, provide educational benefits for Senior Citizens. If your age is 60 or over before the beginning of the term, your legal domicile has been Virginia for one year, and your Federal taxable income for the year preceding enrollment did not exceed $10,000, you may enroll in courses for credit without charge on a space available basis.

Regardless of your income, you may enroll in credit courses for audit (receive no credit) without charge and/or enroll in non-credit courses without charge. However, you will be required to pay for course/instructional materials when these are

provided by the College. Audit and non-credit enrollment is limited to three courses in one term.

You must complete an Application for Admission and be admitted to the College. You must also complete the NVCC form 105-88 Senior Citizen Certification of Eligibility for Free Tuition and an NVCC Registration Worksheet. These must be submitted to the Office of Admissions and Records.

You may register only at the start of the late registration period, after tuition-paying students have registered. However, if you have completed seventy-five percent of your degree requirements, you may register at the same time as tuition-paying students.

Last revised:
Comments to: webmaster@nvcc.edu