NVCC 2002-2003 Catalog
    Administrative Information

Student Classifications

[ NVCC Home Page | Catalog Search | Table of Contents | Divisions | Previous Page | Next Page ]

Curricular Student
    You are classified as a curricular student when you declare a major, that is, when you are admitted to a curriculum of the College. You must be a high school graduate, have earned a General Educational Development (GED) diploma, have completed an approved developmental program, or have been otherwise determined qualified for admission. Your academic file must contain all of the information required for admission to the College. A curricular student may be either a full-time or part-time student working toward completion of a certificate or associate degree at the College.

Non-Curricular Student
    If you have not requested admission to a curriculum or developmental program, you may still register for courses by identifying your reason for enrolling at NVCC. You may be classified as a non-curricular student under one of the following circumstances:
1. Upgrading employment skills for your present job.
2. Developing skills for a new job.
3. Exploring a new career. You may be undecided about a career goal or an occupational choice. If you are changing from one educational objective to another, you are expected to declare another objective prior to completing 30 credit hours of course work.
4. Personal satisfaction or for general knowledge.
5. Transient student. You may be enrolled at NVCC while maintaining primary enrollment with another college or university.
6. Non-degree transfer student. You may be enrolled at NVCC to take only a certain number of courses for transfer to another college or university prior to completing the graduation requirements of a specific curriculum at NVCC.
7. High school student. You must have special permission from NVCC and your principal to enroll at the College.
8. General or curricula requirements pending. You may not have met all of the general or specific admission requirements as stated in the College Catalog but may be accepted by the College to take courses for one semester only, with approval from the College.
9. Restricted enrollment. You may meet admission requirements of a specific curriculum but be temporarily denied entry because of an enrollment limitation. You may enroll in other courses while waiting for entry into your chosen curriculum, with approval of the College.

Full-Time Student
    You are considered a full-time student if you have enrolled in 12 or more credits of course work in a semester or summer session.

Part-Time Student
    You are considered a part-time student if you are enrolled in fewer than 12 credits of course work in a semester or summer session.

Academic Load
    The normal academic course load for students is 15-17 credits. The minimum full-time academic load is 12 credits, and the normal maximum full-time load is 18 credits excluding Orientation (STD 100). To register for more than 18 credits, you must have a 3.00 grade point average or higher and the approval of the provost or his/her designee.

Last revised: Wednesday, Jul-31-2002 12:28
Programming Support