NVCC 2002-2003 Catalog
    Administrative Information

Admission Requirements

[ NVCC Home Page | Catalog Search | Table of Contents | Divisions | Previous Page | Next Page ]

Admission to the College
    If you have a high school diploma or the equivalent, or you are at least 18 years of age, and you are able to benefit from enrollment, you are eligible for admission to Northern Virginia Community College.
    All applicants must complete the Application for Admission. At this time, you are strongly advised to seek the assistance of counselors for academic, career, or transfer information. You are also strongly advised to take the English placement test at this time since demonstrated English ability is required for enrollment in most courses.
    Students are accepted on a first-come/first-served basis, except in restricted programs or when enrollment must be limited. In such cases, priority will be given in the following order: (1) legal residents domiciled in the cities and counties supporting the College, (2) other Virginia legal residents, (3) out-of-state applicants, and (4) international students requiring Form I-20. For certain health technology programs, "counties supporting the College" may include those in which clinical affiliates have contractual agreements with NVCC. It is even more important for you to apply early to the College if you are interested in being admitted to a particular curriculum. Certain programs have limited enrollment. Some of these curricula may have waiting lists.
    High school transcripts are used for academic advisement to enhance your prospects for success in your chosen curriculum.
    The College welcomes transfer students from other colleges and, when you meet NVCC’s admissions requirements, you may be admitted with no restrictions.
    Transcripts are required in order to be considered for admission to the following curricula: Veterinary Technology, Dental Hygiene, Medical Laboratory Technology, Nursing, Physical Therapist Assistant, Radiography, and Respiratory Therapy. Transcripts are preferred for Emergency Medical Services Technology and Health Information Technology programs. Contact the appropriate campus Counseling Office regarding admission to these programs.
    Application for Admission forms may be mailed to the Admissions and Records Office of your choice or brought to the campus during registration. You are urged to submit your Application for Admission to the College at least 30 days prior to the first day of registration for the semester in which you plan to enroll. This should provide you with the opportunity to meet with a counselor for academic assistance prior to registration. If you do not mail your application at least two weeks before registration, you should take the application to campus.
    The College reserves the right to evaluate Applications for Admission and to refuse admission to applicants when it is considered to be in the best interest of the College or when there is sufficient reason to believe that they present a danger to themselves or to other members of the College community.
    When you enroll as a student at NVCC, you accept the rules and regulations of the College. Any violation will be subject to appropriate action by the College.

Admission to a Curriculum
    In addition to the general admission requirements for acceptance by the College, there are specific curricular requirements listed in the "Instructional Programs" section of this catalog. Check the curriculum of your choice to see if you have met the required prerequisites for enrolling in that curriculum. If you do not meet these requirements, you may be able to make up deficiencies by taking developmental or other courses.
    To change from one curriculum to another, you must contact a counselor to initiate completion of a new Major Selection form.

English Language Requirement
    In order to register for most courses, students admitted for the fall semester 2002 and thereafter are required to achieve a satisfactory score on the college English placement test. Regardless of course selection, all students will be required to take the English placement test prior to registering for the 16th credit.

International Students
    Admissions offices must comply fully with federal law and regulations regarding admission of non-immigrant students and issuance of I-20 (Certificate of Eligibility for Student Non-immigrant Status) forms for student visas (F-1/M-1). Except as restricted by federal law or regulation, College policies apply equally to all students regardless of immigration status.

If your native language is not English, you must complete the English placement test (ACCUPLACER) before you register for classes. Your test score may require that you complete English as a Second Language (ESL) courses—in the credit or non-credit program—before you may enroll in any other courses. Information on the requirement is available from the Admissions and Records Office.

Student Visas (F1/M1 Status). NVCC is authorized by the United States Immigration and Naturalization Service (INS) to enroll non-immigrant international students.
    If you require student immigration status (F1/M1), the following prerequisites must be met before the College can issue a Certificate of Eligibility for Student Immigration Status (I-20 form):

    For enrollment in degree/certificate Programs:
1. You must be in the United States at the time of your application to the College.
2. You must apply for full-time enrollment to the College.
3. You must submit documentation of eligibility, including the following items:


a. The equivalent of an American high school diploma.
b. Official transcripts and records of previous educational experiences translated into English and certified by the institution you attended.
c. Verification of financial support.
d. A TOEFL (Test of English as a Foreign Language) score of at least 500. Applicants who are in the local geographical area may satisfy this requirement by successfully completing the College English proficiency test.

    All required documents and test scores for I-20 applicants must be received sixty (60) days prior to the beginning of classes for the semester you plan to attend.
    After you have provided the required documentation, been admitted for full-time enrollment, and been placed in a degree program, a form I-20 is issued by the College.
    If you are in the United States and already have F1 or M1 status but wish to transfer to NVCC, you must first complete at least one term at the school that issued you the I-20. If you currently hold another type of immigration status, or need further information about student visas, you should contact the Admissions and Records Office.

For enrollment in English as a Second Language (ESL) non-credit programs. The availability of non-credit ESL programs varies by campus. You should contact the Continuing Education Office at the campus of your choice for information about these programs and procedures for requesting an I-20 form for ESL study.

Dual Enrollment of Current High School Students and Home School Students
    If you have not yet earned a high school diploma or its equivalent and you are under the age of 18, you may be able to attend the College under certain conditions.
    Dual Enrollment means concurrently taking courses in both high school and college. Some of your NVCC College courses may fulfill Virginia high school graduation requirements if you have prior written approval of your high school principal or for home-school students the approval of the appropriate authority. In some cases the College has existing dual enrollment arrangements with local public schools whereby the college credits you earn may be applied toward your high school diploma while you also receive college credit.

1. Current High School Students

    If you are at least 16 years of age, presently enrolled in high school and wish to be admitted to the College and take classes, you must have the permission of your high school principal or his/her representative.

2. Home School Students

    NVCC will also consider the admission of students who are at least 16 years old, who are not attending a public or private school, and who are home school students. The acceptance of such students may be considered as enrichment to the home school program but is not intended to substitute for the home school experience. Prior to admission, students who are home schooled must provide a current copy of a signed home school agreement between the appropriate school system and the authorizing parent or guardian.

3. Other Policies and Procedures Regarding Dual Enrollment

    The following policies and procedures will apply to the dual enrollment of current high school and home school students:

a. The College reserves the right to evaluate applications for admission and to refuse admission to applicants when it is considered to be in the best interest of the College. For example, a student who has academic or disciplinary difficulties at his/her school will not be admitted to the College.
b. Prior to admission, an applicant who does not have a high school diploma, and who is under the age of 18 years will be required to demonstrate appropriate basic skills compatible with the College’s academic expectations. The applicant must take the English placement test and test at the college level (i.e., ENG 111). A math placement test may be required depending upon a student’s course selections.
c. A dual-enrolled student cannot declare a major until he/she has completed a high school diploma, earned a GED, or reached the age of 18.
d. All students of Northern Virginia Community College, regardless of age, are subject to all of the rules, policies, and procedures of the College pertaining to attendance, confidentiality of records, conduct, etc., as found in the College Catalog and the College Student Handbook.
e. Students admitted on a dual-enrolled basis are not eligible for student financial aid.
f. Applicants for dual enrollment should apply at least two weeks prior to the start of classes.
g. Before registering, dual-enrolled students must see a College counselor or a dean of Student Development prior to each semester until the student has completed a high school diploma, earned a GED, or reached the age of 18.
h. Dual-enrolled students are restricted to part-time enrollment.
i. Dual-enrolled students generally are not permitted to enroll in developmental courses.
j. Dual-enrolled, first-time students generally are not placed in Extended Learning Institute (ELI) courses if there is an alternative course.

Student Identification Number
    You are requested to use your social security number as an identification number at the time you apply for admission. If you are unable or unwilling to provide this number, a substitute identification number will be assigned to you. The social security number identification system provides a consistent and efficient means for grade reporting, class rolls, and other records.
    Applicants for financial aid are required to submit social security numbers. Pell Grant Program applicants are advised that social security numbers are required by the U.S. Department of Education when processing applications.

Identification Cards
    Student identification cards are provided to credit students through the student activities fee. They should be validated each semester upon registration. Lost cards will be replaced upon request to the campus Office of Admissions and Records or on some campuses the Business Office. ID cards may be required for registration, course changes, transcript requests, library material use, admissions to special student activities, and so forth.

Student Records Access
    The College enforces Public Law 93-380 in providing for the privacy of official student records and the rights of students to review these records. You may review your official records by making a request to the Office of Admissions and Records. The College will not release any personally identifiable information about you without your permission, except to certain school and governmental officials as provided by the law.
    Requests by individuals and agencies for release of student information must be presented in writing. Your permission for the College to release any information must also be in writing. Information that is considered public information is described in the current issue of the College Student Handbook.

Campus of Record
    NVCC has five campuses with a sixth, the Medical Education Campus, under construction and scheduled for opening in 2003. When you initially enroll at NVCC the campus through which you apply for admission becomes your "campus of record." This is the campus where your official documents, such as academic transcripts, domicile applications, and other official correspondence are retained.
    Once admitted to the College you may take courses at any campus, though some majors and some courses are offered only at selected campuses. Most students identify with one campus as the place where they obtain services, such as counseling, faculty advising, participation in activities, testing, etc. Faculty advising and graduation certification must be completed at a campus that offers your major. This is especially true of restricted majors in health technology, such as nursing and veterinary technology. If you have questions about where or how to use the services of the College, contact the Counseling Center at any campus.

Assessment and Placement Testing
    Basic skills assessment and placement testing are intended to assist you in selecting courses and designing an academic program in which you will most likely be successful. These tests are not admissions tests. However, you are required to demonstrate a specified level of English proficiency in order to enroll in most college credit courses.
    Prior to testing, you must have submitted an Application for Admission to the College. A photograph identification is required when you come to the Testing Center to take the tests. You will not be permitted to take bookbags, coats, or other personal effects into the Testing Center.
    For information about testing or testing accommodations, contact the Counseling or Testing Center at your campus.

1. Basic Skills Assessment
    Assessment of your strengths and weaknesses in reading, writing, and mathematics will help you determine the appropriate courses to select. This assessment is accomplished through a group of basic skills assessment tests administered through the Testing Center at each campus.
    You are encouraged to take basic skills tests in reading, writing, and mathematics before you register for classes. If you have not taken the basic skills tests and have a cumulative grade point average (GPA) of less than 2.00 after the completion of 9 semester hours at NVCC, or if you are transferring to NVCC with a cumulative GPA of less than 2.00 (regardless of the number of hours completed), you must take the basic skills test in reading and writing. A counselor will determine if it is appropriate for you to take basic skills tests in mathematics as well. Students entering NVCC in the Fall 2002 semester or later, regardless of the GPA, must take the English placement test prior to registering for the 16th credit.

2. Course Placement Testing
    Most courses require that you obtain a minimum score on one or more placement tests before you may enroll in those courses. If your scores on the required placement test(s) are below the prescribed minimums, you must complete prescribed developmental studies courses. The developmental studies course(s) required will be determined by your scores. These requirements apply to all campuses and ELI, unless specifically waived by the responsible division chair.

Testing Centers:
Alexandria Campus: AA344
Annandale Campus: CG402A
Loudoun Campus: LC217A
Manassas Campus: MH112
Woodbridge Campus: WC418
Extended Learning Institute: You may take placement tests at any NVCC campus Testing Center.

    Placement test scores are valid for a limited time period according to the following:

1. English (reading and writing) scores are valid for 3 years; tests may be repeated after 12 months.
2. Math scores are valid for 12 months; tests may be repeated after 3 months.
3. English as a Second Language (ESL) scores are valid for 12 months; tests may be repeated after 3 months if you score below 50 and after 6 months if you score above 50.
4. Ability To Benefit (ATB) scores are valid for 12 months; tests may be repeated after 12 months.

3. Course Prerequisites
    Successful completion of some courses is required before enrolling in other courses. These prerequisites are identified in the Description of Courses section of this catalog. You cannot enroll in a course for which you do not meet one or more of the prerequisites, unless prerequisites are waived by the chair of the instructional division offering the course.
    In a course that requires placement tests, students who do not obtain the required minimum scores to enter a course must complete prescribed developmental studies courses before enrolling in the course.

Last revised:
Programming Support