Teaching English to Speakers of Other Languages (TESOL) Certificate Program
NOVA's Teaching English to Speakers of Other Languages (TESOL) Certificate Program prepares you to teach English as a Second Language to adults by combining language acquisition theory with guided teaching practice from experienced instructors with advanced degrees. NOVA's TESOL Certificate Program meets TESOL International Association's most recent Standards for Short-Term TEFL/TESL Certificate Programs (published in 2015).
Why study TESOL at NOVA?
Setting up your teaching practicum is easy! NOVA Workforce's TESOL Certificate Program gives student teachers 10 hours of supervised practice ESL teaching in our American Culture & Language Institute (ACLI). TESOL graduates have gone on to teach locally and around the world!
To earn a TESOL Certificate from NOVA Workforce, participants must complete TESOL 1, TESOL 2, and TESOL 3.
The program is designed to be completed in two semesters. After completing this certificate, you are qualified to teach English as a second language to adults in an adult education setting such as a community-based program, community college language institute (non-credit), or proprietary school in the U.S. or abroad.
NOTE: The TESOL certificate does not provide credentialing for K-12 or to teach ESL for credit. Early Childhood (VA-ECAP) classes are not part of the TESOL Certificate Program.Contact Us Frequently Asked Questions
- All students must be at least 18 years of age.
- Proof of English proficiency level via one of the following:
- A US college diploma including successful completion of ENG 101 or 111.*
- Native English Speakers: Take the Virginia Placement Test (VPT) for English. Score must be ENG. ENF scores are not eligible to register.
- Non‐Native English Speakers: Take the Accuplacer Test. Score must be 300 or higher and a Level 5 essay (for provisional acceptance) or Level 6+ essay for full acceptance into the program. Level 4 and lower essays are not eligible to register.
*Please check with the TESOL Office to ensure that your college ENG program is accepted by NOVA.
TESOL Certificate Program
These workshops are to be taken in order before taking TESOL 2 & 3.
1-1 Introduction to TESOL
1-2 ELT Methodology
1-3 English Grammar in ESL
1-4 Teaching Speaking & Listening
1-5 Teaching Reading & Writing
1-6 Teaching Grammar
1-7 Lesson Planning
1-8 Assessing English Proficiency
1-9 Classroom Management
These workshops can be take in any order after successfully completing TESOL 1.
2-1 Culture as Course Content
2-2 Teaching Pronunciation
2-3 Using Technology in ESL
2-4 Teaching Entry Level Students
2-5 Tutoring Adult ESL Students
2-6 Material Adaptation
2-7 TESOL Practicum 1 (supervised teaching in ESL classroom)
These Workshops are taken in any order after successfully completing TESOL 1 & 2.
3-1 TESOL Practicum 2 (Saturday-Sunday)
3-2 TESOL Portfolio
Program Price: $2,485.00
Early Childhood (VA-ECAP)
This program is a joint offering from Northern Virginia Community College (NOVA) and The Source for Learning, Inc. (SFL). The Virginia Early Childhood Administrator Professional Credential (VA-ECAP) is a new online credentialing program designed to satisfy one or more of the following requirements:
- Enhance the quality of your early childhood program and meet Virginia competencies for early childhood professionals.
- Meet Operational Administrator Qualifications (Criterion 6C.3 - New Streamlined Model) OR Earn 35 points towards meeting Relevant Training and Credentials for NAEYC’s Accreditation of Early Childhood Programs administrator qualifications, criterion 10.A.02, in the Alternative Pathways to Achieve Educational Qualifications of the Designated Program Administrator. (Established Model) - NAEYC Recognized Credential!
- Comply with Virginia’s child care center licensing management training requirement (22 VAC 40-185-190 B).