Teaching English to Speakers of Other Languages (TESOL) Certificate Program
NOVA's Teaching English to Speakers of Other Languages (TESOL) Certificate Program prepares you to teach English as a Second Language to adults by combining language acquisition theory with guided teaching practice from experienced instructors with advanced degrees. NOVA's TESOL Certificate Program meets TESOL International Association's most recent Standards for Short-Term TEFL/TESL Certificate Programs (published in 2015).
NOVA's TESOL Certificate Program (132 hours) includes:
- In-person and online teacher training in language acquisition methodologies
- An ESL teaching practicum with the American Culture & Language Institute
- Constructive feedback & evaluation on teaching demonstrations
- Job placement assistance
To earn a TESOL Certificate from NOVA, participants should complete 20 workshops and 10 hours of adult ESL class observation. The program is designed for workshops to be taken in a certain order.
NOTE: This is not a K-12 ESOL license preparation program. Visit the Virginia Dept. of Education for more information on K-12. Ed2Go workshops are not part of the TESOL Certificate Program.
CONTACT US: NOVAWorkforceAnswers@nvcc.edu
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS: www.nvcc.edu/workforce/students/tesol/tesolfaq.html
- All students must be at least 18 years of age.
- Proof of English proficiency level via one of the following:
- A US college diploma including successful completion of ENG 101 or 111.*
- Native English Speakers: Take the Virginia Placement Test (VPT) for English. Score must be ENG. ENF scores are not eligible to register.
- Non‐Native English Speakers: Take the Accuplacer Test. Score must be 300 or higher and a Level 5 essay (for provisional acceptance) or Level 6+ essay for full acceptance into the program. Level 4 and lower essays are not eligible to register.
*Please check with the TESOL Office to ensure that your college ENG program is accepted by NOVA.
TESOL Certificate Program Workshops
In-Person (One-Day) Workshops
Introduction to TESOL (1st required workshop)
ELT Methodology (2nd required workshop)
English Grammar in ESL (3rd required workshop)
Teaching Speaking & Listening
Teaching Reading & Writing
Lesson Planning (4th required workshop & a prerequisite class for following workshops)
Assessing English Proficiency
Culture as Course Content
Realia as Course Content
Using Technology in ESL
Teaching Entry Level
Tutoring Adult ESL
TESOL Practicum (Multi-Day) Workshops
TESOL Practicum 1
TESOL Practicum 2 (2 days)
Online (Semester-Long) Workshops
Early Childhood (VA-ECAP)
This program is a joint offering from Northern Virginia Community College (NOVA) and The Source for Learning, Inc. (SFL). The Virginia Early Childhood Administrator Professional Credential (VA-ECAP) is a new online credentialing program designed to satisfy one or more of the following requirements:
- Enhance the quality of your early childhood program and meet Virginia competencies for early childhood professionals.
- Meet Operational Administrator Qualifications (Criterion 6C.3 - New Streamlined Model) OR Earn 35 points towards meeting Relevant Training and Credentials for NAEYC’s Accreditation of Early Childhood Programs administrator qualifications, criterion 10.A.02, in the Alternative Pathways to Achieve Educational Qualifications of the Designated Program Administrator. (Established Model) - NAEYC Recognized Credential!
- Comply with Virginia’s child care center licensing management training requirement (22 VAC 40-185-190 B).