Welcome to the Northern Virginia Community College Website

Accessibility Navigation:

Accounting - FAQ

What math courses do I need for an Accounting Degree?
For an Associates in Applied Science Degree in Accounting you need Math 151 or you may substitute a higher-level math course.
Is there some other way that I can take accounting courses without going to a classroom?
Yes, the Extended Learning Institute (ELI) offers accounting and business courses through their distance learning program. For example, some of the accounting courses students can take without going to a classroom are Accounting 211 and Accounting 212.
Can I earn an Accounting: Career Studies Certificate Online?
All of the courses required to earn a Career Studies Certificate in Accounting can be taken online through the Extended Learning Institute (ELI).
Is it necessary to take Accounting 211 before Accounting 212?
Yes, accounting 211 is a prerequisite for Accounting 212.
After I have declared a major in accounting, how will I know what courses I am required to take?
It is important that you obtain a college catalog, familiarize yourself with your requirements, and follow the instructions for your respective major. If you have any questions contact your faculty advisor.
How can I satisfy the requirements for the Certified Public Accountant (CPA) exam?
We offer all of the courses necessary to sit for the CPA Exam either in the classroom or through ELI.