With commitment to the principles of access, opportunity, student success, and excellence, the mission of Northern Virginia Community College is to deliver world-class, in-person and online postsecondary teaching, learning, and workforce development to ensure our region and the Commonwealth of Virginia have an educated population and a globally competitive workforce.
Our Shared Values
Opportunity With Excellence
- We are committed to providing open access and promoting equality for all who seek to improve their lives.
- We are committed to offering a wide variety of programs and services within the means of all citizens and with each having its standards of excellence.
- We encourage our students to take advantage of opportunities and to seek the limits of their potential in aesthetic and cultural enrichment, technical knowledge, personal growth, understanding of the basic academic disciplines and recreational and avocational pursuits.
- We believe that the citizens of Northern Virginia, both individual and corporate, should help shape the programs, courses and services of the College.
- We are committed to listening to the community and inviting its participation in shaping the programs and services of the College.
- We believe our worth as a community college is measured by the quality and timeliness of our response and service to the community.
Comprehensive Educational Programs
- We see learning as an end in itself, as the most practical means to a full life, and as essential to improve the quality of life of the individual.
- We value our comprehensive programs—liberal arts and sciences, career and technical education, continuing education, developmental education, specialized educational services, and student services—and hold all to be of equal distinction and prominence.
- We believe each aspect of our comprehensive educational program has high value to those served; therefore, we advocate the offering of these comprehensive services alongside each other and in a unified setting.
- We are foremost an institution focused upon teaching—we are dedicated to teaching through varied approaches and to upholding innovation with free, open discussion of ideas and values.
- We believe in the worth, dignity and human potential of each individual who participates in the programs and services of the College.
- We recognize our responsibility to build and maintain a college environment that encourages all individuals to realize their potential, and to provide the diverse learning support and growth opportunities each person needs to be successful.
- We are committed to maintaining a caring environment for all those associated with the College—students, faculty, staff and the community in general.
Public Trust and Responsibility
- We are committed to individual and organizational performance that builds and maintains public trust and confidence.
- We hold ourselves accountable for attaining management, operational and fiscal practices that are efficient and effective.
- We are committed to high ethical standards, assertive affirmative action, and effective involvement in and support for local community activities and economic development.