The Office of Student Rights and Responsibilities (OSRR) promotes and encourages honesty, integrity, and respect among NOVA students and staff. We accomplish our mission through education, compliance through behavioral standards, and support of individual rights. Our work helps enhance the quality of the NOVA community and equips students with the knowledge, skills, and resources to be successful inside and outside of the classroom.
The Office of Student Rights and Responsibilities (OSRR) comprise the following areas:
Student Integrity and Conduct – Investigate alleged violations of the Student Code of Conduct.
- Adjudication of informal and formal Code of Conduct hearings
- Mediation (settling differences)
- Student development workshops
- Professional development workshop on topics like Conflict Resolution and Classroom Management
- Referrals to resources and services
Student Ombuds Services (SOS) – For students who believe an unfair resolution was made for a formal complaint made to NVCC (i.e., academic concerns, ethical behavior, violation of College policies and/or procedures, business services, financial aid, etc.), SOS will investigate the student’s concern.
- Confidential - students may discuss problems or issues in a confidential manner
- Independent - of any individual/office within NVCC
- Informal - review matters received and make informal inquiries to offer resolution options, make referrals, and mediate disputes
- Neutral - strives for impartiality, fairness, and objectivity in the treatment of people and the consideration of issues
- Voluntary – it is the student’s responsibility to contact SOS for services
Academic Standing and Retention Initiatives - Provides oversight for academic standing processes and retention efforts related to student support.
- Academic and Student Support Services
- Academic Reinstatement Process
- Academic Success Counseling
- Academic Standing Honors