Rainwater and the water we use on campus transfers debris, and harmful chemicals, like pesticides, fertilizers and motor oil into storm drains. Those toxins end up choking our waterways and are a threat to human and animal life. The good news is that stormwater pollution can easily be prevented. We can all positively contribute to the health and value of our local waterways. This site gives you tips on what you can do to help keep our waterways clean and information about the stormwater pollution prevention program, regulations and training opportunities.
Stormwater draining from each campus is collected by individual storm sewer systems that function independently of each campus’ respective county or city systems.
These systems are regulated as small municipal separate storm sewer systems (MS4s) by the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) and the Commonwealth of Virginia.
The general permit authorizes NOVA’s storm sewer system to discharge into surface waters within Virginia state boundaries.
MS4 Regulatory Documents
MS4 Program Plan Documentation
- NOVA 2020-2021 MS4 Program Plan
- Small MS4 Stormwater Program Overview
- 2018-2023 MS4 General Permit
- DEQ MS4 Permit Approval Letter
- NOVA 2019-2020 MS4 Program Plan
- VCCS Annual Standards and Specifications (2019)
- VCCS Annual Standards and Specifications Approval Letter (2019)
MS4 Program Plan Manuals
- Good Housekeeping and Pollution Prevention Manual (2019)
- Illicit Discharge Detection and Elimination Program Manual (2019)
- Post-Construction Stormwater Management Inspection and Maintenance Program Manual (2019)
MS4 Program Total Maximum Daily Loads Action Plans
- 2013-2018 Chesapeake Bay TMDL Action Plan
- 2018-2023 Chesapeake Bay TMDL Action Plan
- 2015-2020 Neabsco Creek TMDL Action Plan
MS4 Annual Reports
- MS4 Stormwater Annual Report (2019-2020)
- MS4 Stormwater Annual Report (2018-2019)
- MS4 Stormwater Program Plan and Annual Report (2017-2018)
- MS4 Stormwater Program Plan and Annual Report (2016-2017)
- MS4 Stormwater Program Plan and Annual Report (2015-2016)
Nutrient Management Plans
- 2018-2021 Alexandria Campus Nutrient Management Plan
- 2018-2021 Annandale Campus Nutrient Management Plan
- 2018-2021 Loudoun Campus Nutrient Management Plan
- 2018-2021 Manassas Campus Nutrient Management Plan
- 2018-2021 Medical Education Campus Nutrient Management Plan
- 2018-2021 Woodbridge Campus Nutrient Management Plan
For more information about stormwater management at NOVA or to provide input on the MS4 Program Plan or to report an illicit discharge on your campus, please contact:
- Help out during environmental events.
- Hang environmental awareness posters in campus buildings.
- Affix storm drain labels to storm inlets on campus.
- Garden clean-up & trees, shrub & perennial plantings.
- Trash pick-up on campus or at a local stream.
- Inventorying & assessing building recycling bin placement.