When you register for a class at NOVA, you are making a commitment to attend the class regularly, either in person or online. Since the Commonwealth of Virginia contributes a significant portion of your educational costs, you must establish your attendance or participation early in the semester, rather than taking a seat that might have gone to another student. The census date marks the last day to make that change.
If you do not attend at least one class meeting or participate in an online learning class by the census date (last day to drop with a tuition refund), your class registration will be administratively deleted.
Administrative deletion means:
- there will be no record of the class or any letter grade on your transcript;
- the course credits will be deducted from your course load;
- the reduction of credits may affect your student status (full-time or part-time); and
- you will not receive a tuition refund.
Spring 2019 Census Dates
- 16-Week Session: January 29
- First 8-Week Session: January 29
- 14-Week Session: February 10
- 12-Week Session: February 22
- 10-Week Session: March 6
- Second 8-Week Session: March 24
|Sessions||Start Date||Last Day to Drop with a Tuition Refund or Change to Audit (Census Date)|
|16 week||January 14||January 31|
|First 4-week||January 14||January 18|
|First 8-week||January 14||January 22|
|First 12-week||January 14||January 26|
|Second 4-week||February 11||February 15|
|Second 8-week||February 4||February 12|
|Second 12-week||January 28||February 9|
|Third 4-week||March 18||March 22|
|Third 8-week||February 25||March 5|
|Third 12-week||February 18||March 2|
|Fourth 4-week||April 15||April 18|
|Fourth 8-week||March 18||March 26|
For variable duration (dynamic) classes, the census date is individually set. For these variable duration classes, in the Student Information System, click on the class. The date for Drop Without Penalty is the last date to drop with a refund.