What if I recently traveled to an area affected by COVID-19?
If you were in an area with a COVID-19 outbreak and feel sick with fever, cough, or difficulty breathing, within 14 days after you left, you should...
- Seek medical advice. Call ahead before you go to a doctor’s office or emergency room. Tell them about your recent travel and your symptoms.
- Avoid contact with others.
- Do not travel on public transportation while you are sick.
- Cover your mouth and nose with a tissue or your sleeve (not your hands) when coughing or sneezing.
- Wash your hands often with soap and water for at least 20 seconds to avoid spreading the virus to others.
- Wash your hands with soap and water immediately after coughing, sneezing, or blowing your nose.
- If soap and water are not readily available, you can use an alcohol-based hand sanitizer that contains 60%–95% alcohol. Always wash your hands with soap and water if your hands are visibly dirty.