- Armed Forces Websites by Branch
- Transcript Evaluation
- Admissions and Placement Testing
- Military Site Representatives
According to (DoDI 1322.25, March 15, 2011) under 4.d.(1):
"Approved Courses. If an eligible Service member decides to use TA, educational institutions will enroll him or her only after the TA is approved by the individual’s Service. Service members will be solely responsible for all tuition costs without this prior approval. This requirement does not prohibit an educational institution from pre-registering a Service member in a course in order to secure a slot in the course. If a school enrolls the Service member before the appropriate Service approves Military TA, then the Service member could be responsible for the tuition. All Military TA must be requested and approved prior to the start date of the course. The Military TA is approved on a course-by-course basis and only for the specific course(s) and class dates that a Service member requests. If a military student “self-identifies” their eligibility and the Service has not approved the funding, then the Service member will be solely responsible for all tuition costs, not the Service."
Below are links to the various branches of Armed Forces websites:
- A student must be enrolled in at least one NOVA course and complete the Military Credit Evaluation Request Form (form 125-349E) before joint service transcripts will be evaluated.
- The form can be found by logging into NVCC’s dashboard at the following link: https://dashboard.nvcc.edu/
- Students utilizing Department of Defense Tuition Assistance benefits are required complete a SOC agreement with NOVA, unless the student has a SOC agreement through another college. NOVA is required to submit a copy of a student's SOC agreement to the military.
- Campus counselors will complete evaluations of transcripts such as CLEP/DANTES and transcripts from regionally accredited schools.
- The Office of Military Services will complete evaluations of all military transcripts via Joint Services Transcript. Contact firstname.lastname@example.org for more information. Community College of the Air Force transcripts will be evaluated by NVCC’s Central Records Office (CRO).
In addition, there are special provisions for active duty military, veterans, and their families that allow them to pay in-state tuition without meeting normal domicile requirements.
- NOVA, like all Virginia public colleges and universities, is governed by the Domicile Guidelines issued by the State Council on Higher Education for Virginia (SCHEV). These guidelines are authorized by and derived from the Code of Virginia.
- A student’s eligibility for in-state tuition at all colleges in the Virginia Community College System, including NOVA, is initially determined by information gathered from the online Application for Admission. The domicile questions include such things as how long the student or parent has lived in Virginia; whether the student or parent has a Virginia driver’s license, car registration, and voter registration; and the student’s or parent’s history of paying Virginia income taxes as required by law. The initial determination is automated and is communicated to students on the confirmation page they receive when they submit the application. Students have a right to challenge the initial determination by filing an appeal.
- A student under 24 is presumed to be independent if s/he is a veteran or an active duty member of the U.S. Armed Forces; is a graduate school or professional school student; is married; is a ward of the court or was a ward of the court until age 18; has no adoptive or legal guardian when both parents are deceased; has legal dependents other than a spouse; is able to present clear and convincing evidence of financial self-sufficiency; is the US citizen child of ineligible parents; or was approved for DACA at least one year before the first day of classes for the term.
- The military in state tuition form can be turned into any NOVA Student Services Registrar’s office. Please refer to the following link to complete the Military-In-State Tuition Form with supporting documents. https://www.nvcc.edu/forms/pdf/125-115.pdf
|Ft. Myer/Henderson Hall/Pentagon
Diana St. Amand Campos
Barden Education Center, Room 127
Bldg 3088, Rm 17