- What is my LAN (Local Area Network) ID?
- How do I log in? What if I cannot log in?
- What is the password policy?
- How do I map a drive?
- I'm switching campuses or divisions. What do I need to do?
What is my LAN (Local Area Network) ID?
Faculty and staff are provided with LAN accounts that allow access to campus computers and email. Computers on NOVA campuses present you with a logon box requesting a User ID, password and domain.
Your User ID is the first letter of your first name followed by your last name, up to 12 letters.
Example: Joe Brown = jbrown
If your name is similar to that of another faculty member, your User ID might be created using the first two letters of your first name followed by your last name, up to 12 letters. If your first and last names are similar to those of another faculty member, your User ID might be created with a number.
Example: Joe Brown = jbrown ; Jay Brown = jabrown ; Jane Brown = jabrown1
If you are not able to log in, consult the IT Help Desk by phone: 703.426.4141 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
How do I log in? What if I cannot log in?
All computers on campus will present you with a login screen requesting a username and a password. In the case of staff computers, those in the adjunct lab or your personal office (NVCC Domain), use your NVCC username and password. Alternatively, if you are logging into a classroom computer (Directory Domain), use your myNOVA username and password.
What is the password policy?
First time users must call the Help Desk. At your first logon, you will be required to choose a new password using the following format:
- Passwords must be at least eight characters long.
- Passwords may not contain your username or any part of your full name.
- Passwords must contain characters from at least three of the following four classes:
- English upper case letters: A, B, C, ... Z
- English lower case letters: a, b, c, ... z
- Numerals: 0, 1, 2, ... 9
- Non-alphanumeric (special characters): !%@#$^&*()+-*
Users are required to change the password every 90 days. User IDs and passwords should be kept confidential. Do not share your password.
How do I map a drive?
- Right click on the "My Computer" icon.
- Select "Map Network Drive".
- From the drop down menu, select the letter of the Drive you wish to map.
- Type in the path to the drive ("\\ansrvr0\jdoe" or "\\novaweb\jdoe") and description (personal folder, division folder, personal web folder, etc.).
- Check the "Reconnect at Logon" box.
- Click "OK".
- Double click on the "My Computer" icon.
- The drive letter you mapped should be displayed. Double click on it to open.
If you are unable to map a drive, please contact the IT Helpdesk by email: email@example.com or phone: 703.426.4141.
I'm switching campuses or divisions. What do I need to do?
Fill out the online form 105-45.